Rhododendrons: Azaleas and rhodos

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by michelled, Jan 11, 2007.

1. michelled

michelled Active Member

Hi:

More help needed (you people are great!)

The first three are azaleas, I believe, but I don't know the common name of the variety.

The last is from a large, mature rhododendron tree and the flowers were about 8" in diameter. Anyone know the name of it?

Thanks!
    Michelle

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They are all hybrid rhododendrons except the third one, which is an evergreen azalea (also a rhododendron, botanically).

Many kinds of both have been named and introduced. The evergreen azaleas in particular have myriad cultivars, some very similar to one another, with complete, detailed descriptions often not available.

If you do not get useful names here (be sure to check out any suggested before adopting them) try another free site called GardenWeb, which has both a rhododendron forum and a plant identification forum.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved this thread to the rhododendron forum, as I think a few people subscribe to it and receive notification of new posts)