British Columbia: Azalea help needed

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Loulou, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Loulou

Loulou Member

I have an azalea which is not doing well. Small leaves, few flowers and seemed to be eaten by weevils. Does anyone know how to give azaleas a real boost to ensure survival?

2. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Can you post a photo? I know azaleas don't like full sun, love acidic soil and lot of moisture

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Under conifers or building overhang?

4. Heather Ann

Heather Ann Member

I live in a condo in New Westminster and this year we have had 2 out of 6 azaleas die that were in large planter boxes. When I first noticed last year that a couple that were obviously very unhappy I carefully dug down with gloved hands to inspect the roots. There were little or none. I purchased some specialty food for them and applied it meagerly as per the instructions. I then mulched with pine needles. Lack of water is not the problem as the boxes are irrigated. Currently the surviving 4 are blooming their little hearts out and appear happy. I think that the problem started when they were first planted and the strata member who put them in purchased discounted root bound stock and did not know to open up the root system first. As for the small leaves ours are the same. I am thinking that it it the norm for the variety which are a dwarf.

5. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Further question re opening up roots of azaleas/rhodos before planting. I just planted a rhododendron [small plant, will be medium-sized if survives] and did NOT open up the root system this time. I've done that in the past, and it never seemed to help, in fact the plant usually did not do well or died. I followed instructions on the tag to the letter, which did not mention opening it up... Did I do the right or wrong thing, it was planted about 2 weeks ago, is it too late to remedy [I think it is]? The setting of this plant is ideal.