Avocado Progress

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by PlantScienceOhio, Aug 23, 2015.

1. PlantScienceOhio

PlantScienceOhio Member

This avocado was started June 2014. 1 years growth yielded approx. 16" and plenty of new growth. This particular specimen went through a lot of growing pains over the winter, including leaf spotting and browning and my cat literally eating the remaining healthy leaves off before spring arrived. I didn't give up on it. What remained was still supple, green and healthy. After the last threat of frost here in Ohio, I put it under the shade of a large maple as it is too young and green to absorb direct sunlight.

After the nut was completely drained of nutrients (as you can see the dried up husk), I noticed some barky secondary growth around the base, about the width of my thumb.

The bark is a new development to me and I wonder if I will see regular progress over the years as the bark begins to develop further up the trunk.

Anyone seeing regular bark growth in their avocados, please tell what you observed.

Attached Files: