Avacados in Vancouver ???

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Gregn, Aug 6, 2005.

1. coocoomike

coocoomike Member

now I have to figure out how to separate the siamese twins. These 2 avacados have been in the same pot for the longest time, and I am not sure if the roots are all tangled up, and with the Shiso too ... I will post pictures if it all works out.

2. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

I have seen a avocado in Sidney On Vancouver Island that is about 8 to 10 feet tall grown up against a west facing wall - under a glass overhang. I dont know if it is a seedling, cutting or grafted. It is at the home of Bob and Verna Duncan -@ Fruit Trees and More. Their tree has not flowered either.

Greg

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'll be visiting the Duncan's in August. Perhaps I'll see it then and take photos. Greg, any ideas on this 'Holiday' avocado and how we can get some into BC?

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

4. Gregn

Barrie, I could not find a avocado of any variety in BC. Not sure why. I think you can buy ANYTHING in Vancouver legal or not, but why not a avocado tree??? You can check with Cliftons Nursery in California. They supplied all the paperwork to import the plants (at a fee of course). If they have one send me a P/M ...I have a delivery address in Washington.

5. coocoomike

coocoomike Member

Help!
    I moved my 2 avacados outdoor a week and a half ago, it was finally sunny in Vancouver. They are still in the same tall pot, sitting on my front door steps and I did water them regularly. One day it was particularly sunny (a little too sunny for a long time). Some leaves were "burnt" .... is it possible? I thought they were meant to be outdoor in warm climate? Or maybe the change is too extreme?

6. Grow

Grow Member

Not only is it possible, it is guaranteed. When taking plants from inside, where they are protected from UV radiation, to outside, you must always place them first in the shade, and gradually, over time, move them into the sunshine, or use some type of screening material to acheive the same thing. Otherwise they will get burnt, just as our own skin does. But the good news is that new leaves should regrow. So give it time. Also, if these are not the more hardy Mexican varities (i.e. not from seeds from commercial fruit like Haas), they will not survive outdoors in the winter here, unless there is an incredibly mild winter, and you have really good overhead protection, etc.

7. Gregn

I would like to update (to anyone interested) on my progress - I had a setback with this latest bout of winter. My Stuart avocado planted up against my house has suffered some substantial leaf damage - though it appears that only this past seasons growth is affected. The tree is in a portable cold frame with 2 citrus plants (Changsha mandarin and a Nippon Orangequat) and all are planted in the ground. The Citrus had NO damage at all. I was away during the really cold weather so I was not able to monitor the high / low temperatures. Though likely in the -13c (10f) range. I did have string of Christmas lights (7w) on 7 / 24 when I was away. I spoke to Bob Duncan at fruit Trees and More today, they have a 'West Texas' variety and a Stuart grafted on to it. His suffered minimal to no damage. The temperature in Sidney hit a of -9c at the nursery. 29 inches of snow on the ground on Jan 4 2009 !!!

Greg

8. coocoomike

coocoomike Member

Mine is already outdoor in front of our townhouse (but still in a planter) for a few months. Recent cold nap has killed my Shiso plant (in the same pot, and don't ask me why). The avacado is all brown during the sub-zero weather. Hope it will come back in spring.

9. Cynna

Cynna New Member

Hi, just wondering how your Avocado trees did, if they're still around, etc.

It's been fascinating to read through this as it started in 2006, and weather has changed dramatically since then. My small local garden store has been selling kiwi and lemon trees for a while, I haven't checked for other citrus or avocados though, just am looking in to the possibility of making my dream of picking fresh avocados from my backyard a reality. ;)

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The ones we tried at UBC Botanical Garden failed in the first winter, unfortunately.

11. georgestancliffe

georgestancliffe Member

I posted a reply to this thread last year, but it looks like somebody deleted it.

My friend has an avocado tree in his Burnaby, BC backyard that he planted by seed (by accident) 4 years ago. He put lots of Avocado seeds in his compost and some of them sprouted. He pulled up some when they "got in the way", and others died when the cold winter hit.

This cold-hardy tree still survives. This winter was much colder than normal, reaching -14°C (6.8°F).

This is a significant discovery. This proves that random Avocado seeds from the grocery story can indeed produce a cold-hardy tree.

I have included a photo of the tree in this post. . . 'The Burnaby Avocado Tree'  - Survived -14°C in Jan-2022 - in Burnaby, BC.jpg

LPN likes this.
  12. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Now that's remarkable. I would never have expected to see that. It was indeed cold this year here as well -11°C / 12.2°F .