Autumn blaze problem?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kylee, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Kylee

Kylee New Member

I transplanted this tree about 3 months ago. The branches are going a little haywire. Half the branches are growing very fast and leaning toward the sun. This tree has no shade until the sun is down.

Might be important... My puppy did a bad thing and stripped the trunk from bottom to top on about half. With the advice of the nursery we used pruning sealant on it shortly after to seal it back up.

First tree I’ve ever planted and first for my whole yard! Not sure if I need to trim it or if somethings wrong. I sure hope not. I love this tree.

See pictures below!

Attached Files:

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

If your puppy or some other critter ever does this kind of damage again, all you need do is wrap it promptly with plastic wrap (e.g., Saran). You need to do this within about 24 hours of the damage occurring or it doesn't matter. When the bark is stripped off, there are residual camibum cells on the exposed wood. Wrapping promptly will keep them from desiccating and dying. Within 10 to 15 days a new epiderm will have been created and the wrapping can be removed as it will no longer be serving any real purpose. The wound will 'heal' far faster than it will if the residual cambium is allowed to die. Once it is dead, there is no real point in any covering/'sealer' as the tree will naturally compartmentalize the damage.

Dendrology is not my strong suit, but I think you have an acer campestre (aka 'hedge maple' or field maple). It is late in the season and some ratty leaves are normal on just about any/all maples. I don't see anything to worry about based on your pix. If you are concerned, maybe you should give everyone some more detail about the nature of your worries (e.g., only on one side of the tree, all the tree, the discoloration is quickly becoming more extensive).

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Kaylee,

I think your Autumn Blaze will be OK too. But it had a major accident and it'll take a few years to recover now. The nursery gave you bad advice, but that's water under the bridge.

Osoyoung's advice is very good for any maple with this sort of damage. I whacked into one with the tractor this year, stripping the bark off one side, and a couple of months later it's doing fine. I use opaque packing tape, but it's the same principle. I sympathize as I have a puppy right now too. She likes to steal pot antiweed protectors and eat them, found one this morning.

You do have an Autumn Blaze maple, and it's about to color up. Here's more than you ever wanted to know about it: its real name is Acer x freemanii 'Jeffersred'. Autumn Blaze is the trademark name. It was introduced in Ohio in 1980 by Jeffers, and is a garden cross between Acers rubrum and saccharinum, the red and silver maples. It more closely resembles the second, but has fantastic red and orange fall color, which has made it a really popular maple in both N America and Europe. It's a great maple.

For now yours looks good, the real test will be how it does next spring as it begins regenerating the bark around the side that got eaten.

4. Kylee

Kylee New Member

Thank you!

I was mainly worried about those tall branches leaning to one side. They are growing toward the sun which makes sense but I was worried there was a correlation between the one side that was stripped of its bark and only half the branches growing this tall and in one direction so dramatically.

Also super glad to have the advise on Saran Wrap and placing it right away. We have the tree blocked off from our puppy right now but things happen and I never want to lose a tree!

Glad to hear my tree is looking good and I’m anxious to see how it does next spring.