Aucuba japonica leaves - problems ?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by joZ, May 20, 2008.

1. joZ

joZ Active Member

Can someone comment on the natural lifecycle "look" of the leaves on an aucuba japonica? I have a very mature plant, about 12 feet high. As you can see from the pictures, there is a yellowing and browning of some of the leaves at this time (just after it has "bloomed"), while many others remain quite healthy looking. However, I am not sure how healthy they actually are. Is yellowing and browning and some drop-off of leaves quite natural or does this mean that it is lacking in some nutrients? Any ideas? Please see the pictures attached. I look forward to reading your comments.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The growing season is the natural time for many broadleaf evergreens to shed old leaves.

3. joZ

joZ Active Member

So the browning, yellowing is quite natural? I don't have to be concerned?

4. Ron B

Looks fine in the picture on the right. Some inner leaves die and drop every year.

5. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

I would agree that this looks like normal shedding, since the mature aucuba in my yard is known to do the same thing.

I nearly dug it out 10 years ago because of this behaviour....but I decided to 'give it one more year', and still it thrives!

Not a glamourous plant, but the yellow-green foliage colour is great on a grey day.

6. Ron B

More interesting when fruiting.