I decided to try and germinate some old Acer pentaphyllum seeds I found in the back of my fridge and thought it might be worthwhile to document my progress (if any) here. It will encourage me to keep a journal of sorts to track my progress, and might provide a useful source of information for others attempting something similar in the future. (Whether it ends in success or failure is irrelevant, the information will have some value.) There were ten A. pentaphyllum seeds stored dry in a coin envelope, in turn kept in a small plastic container on the back top shelf of the fridge. There was no date on the envelope but it is believed that they are from a batch of seeds received from Australia in late 2010 or early 2011, from the 2010 harvest. I previously germinated some of these seeds when they were fresh, and kept back this small batch as insurance against frost damage or similar to the original plants. The seeds were soaked in water with a very weak solution of complete hydroponic fertiliser for 24 hours and 5 of the 10 seeds sank. They were additionally kept moist, but not under water, for approximately another 48 hours. The nutlets were then scored around the centre line with a sharp knife and split open using thumbnails. It was not surprising, given how many sank, that there were 5 viable looking seeds, the remainder included 4 that were empty and one that appeared to contain a dead seed. The viable looking seeds have now (05/03/22) been planted in small pots and are currently being kept indoors at around 20 degrees C. Some pictures of the samaras and seeds are posted below. Here are the 10 seeds after soaking: A typical empty nutlet: The seed that appeared to be dead: A typical viable looking seed: The five viable looking seeds prior to planting (one still is in a half nutlet as he did not seem keen to fully come out of his shell): To me, the seeds look viable, so we shall see what happens in good time. I will update when there is some news.