Identification: Atlas Cedar?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by akimbo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

I was told at the nursery that this is an Atlas Cedar, but it is golden. This one is about 6 feet high. Slow growing? If you know of any special care please also advise. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The 'Aurea' Atlas cedar of nurseries here is correctly 'Aurea Robusta'. Specimen shown is either a stunted example of this that badly needs to be fertilized, or another kind entirely - perhaps even the true 'Aurea', something I have never seen in person before.

'Aurea'

Dwarf, yellow with green undertone

'Aurea Robusta'

Not dwarf, blue with yellow on top; larger examples may appear to be all blue without additional scrutiny

4. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

The nursery I bought it from is a reputable place that regularly repots and fertilizes. He referred to it as a 'cultivar', in order to keep it dwarfed. This one is dwarf yellow with green undertone, so, by your description that makes it 'Aurea' by your description. Thank you.

BTW, I found the website of an individual with an amazing collection of cedars, especially dwarfs. Make sure you scroll all the way down past the text as there are more pics below. Excellent photos. Mine looks most like his Atlantica 'Aurea'.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/conif/msg0523362932159.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
  5. Ron B

Top is actually on the small side for the size of the pot in your picture.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  6. Ron B

Gelderen, Hoey Smith, Conifers - The Illustrated Encyclopedia (Timber Press, Portland) have photos of both on page 98. Each is captioned Cedrus libani 'Aurea', by mistake. The 'Aurea' Atlas cedar is shown on the left and the 'Aurea Robusta' on the right. Note the observation that the one on the right has "a gray undertone that turns more yellow in winter".

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. Ron B

Actually the green undertone is seen on C. libani 'Aurea', I remembered it wrong. The C. atlantica (C. libani var. atlantica) 'Aurea' supposedly differs from the 'Aurea Robusta' in being a smaller tree with shorter needles. You have to wonder if there really are two clones, or if one is just less vigorous examples of the other.

At least nowadays.

It appears the captions in the later edition of the Illustrated Encyclopedia got garbled when someone tried to accommodate reinterpretation of C. atlantica as C. atlantica var. libani, and fashioned it as C. libani (without the var. atlantica included).

8. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks very much for your diligence Ron. I took delivery of the tree today. It is very golden indeed with a little green undertone and the needles are short. I was assured again that it is a shorter tree, so most likely, as you said, C. atlantica (C. libani var. atlantica) 'Aurea'. It's truly beautiful.