At the beach, pink flower spikes, pea flowers, not pea leaves

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Jul 19, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think these are wildflowers on the English Bay beach just off the sea wall, though I suppose the Parks Board could have planted them. They're pink, look like pea flowers, but those narrow opposite single leaves are what's on the stalks. I think around .5m to 1m tall.

I thought everyone else knew what they are are, but I posted them on flickr and no-one has given me a name.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

And here I am thinking that your plant looks very like my sweet peas, Lathyrus odoratus.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. togata57

Just looked up L. latifolius---yep, that is exactly my plant!
    Thanks, S.s.

With the drought this year, vines have grown to only about half their usual height, and flowers are sparse. Try to keep 'em watered as the honeybees love them so.

5. wcutler

Oh, so those aren't opposite leaves, they're two leaflets off a winged petiole, and it is the pea family. I'll have to go look again. Thank you both.

6. wcutler

I come here for serious requests - I just thought that everyone knew it and one of my friends would mention what it was.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Perennial pea is a naturalized exotic species in this region. I see it rePEAtedly here, along Interstate 5 for instance.

Oh, sorry, you wanted seriousness.

8. togata57

Who, me? Re-peal the thought.
    I come here for the appealing folks, whose plant knowledge is unimpeachable.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It certainly now appears you are willing to give peas a chance. A garden escape here, perennial pea provides color for a very long time, Jacobson, Wild Plants of Seattle (2008) says "From mid-April into October" but also notes "The plant tends to get powdery mildew in July".

10. togata57

As do we all.

11. wcutler

I only said I was trying to be serious. You all can be as merry as you like.

I hope you'll appease me by allowing me to complete the picture with this photo of the leaves. If I understand this correctly now, the V at the top is formed by two leaves, each leaf consisting of the winged petiole, and the two leaflets and the tendrils at the end of each petiole. At the base of the V are the stipules and the flower peduncle.

Attached Files:

12. togata57

Pea-duncle? Sorry! Couldn't help it.

Started mine from seeds from a neighbor's plants many years ago. Thrives still in its original spot...and appears here and there all over the garden! Have to yank it out every so often. But, since flowers are a cheery color/bee favorite---and the plant is OK with my less-than-lovely soil---I am tolerant of its errant nature.

Am glad to say that some rain has fallen at last, and the vines are making up for lost time. I do believe that the uppermost on my trellis has grown nearly a foot over the last couple of days, and the number of blooms has doubled. Hooray!

Seems as if some crafty-type item could be made from the seed pods, which spiral after opening.

13. wcutler

Seven years was plenty of time for me to forget that I "learned" the name of this pea, Lathyrus latifolius. I was going to post it for ID, was even going to say the same thing about it that I said first time around, looks kind of natural but probably Parks Board planting. Then I thought maybe Lathyrus. And then I remembered posting it. I've enjoyed rereading this thread, thank you all who contributed. My posting today is just for appreciation.
    Lathyrus-latifolius_EnglishBaySeawall_Cutler_20190710_175422.jpg Lathyrus-latifolius_EnglishBaySeawall_Cutler_20190710_175458.jpg

Silver surfer likes this.
  14. togata57

Whoa, what a blast from the past! Ah, the ebullience of youth.
    My peas are still growing strong, enthusiastic as ever. Perennial indeed!

Silver surfer likes this.