Asplenium (Nidus?) Fimbriata

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by DGuertin, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Anyone have any info on this one? I've seen it listed both as Asplenium Fimbriata, like it's a true species, as well as Asplenium Nidus 'Fimbriatum,' as if a cultivar. No idea which is proper, but there's bugger all on-line about it!

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

DG I'd say it is a CV, but that is only a guess...

Ed

3. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi DG

There is no species Asplenium fimbriata, the plant is a garden variety (cultivar) of A. nidus. It is mentioned in some fern books I have.

You can check out the best and very comprehensive web source for fern names (but not garden varieties):

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/fern/asplenium.htm

Anyway, whatever the name, a plant to enjoy!

Ciao

BrianO

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with BrianO above.

BTW, there is no such thing as Asplenium Nidus. It is Asplenium nidus. Species names take lower case. Also there is no such thing as the cultivar 'Fimbriatumcomma'. Punctuation goes outside quote marks.

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

I know, I know... I'm just accustomed to it as if a proper name (e.g. Michael Fitzpatrick, or what have you. ;-) I also included the punctuation within the quotes as that's simply proper grammar. I appreciate the info about it being a cultivar, though.

I have seen only a few minor references listed as to this peculiar fellow, and really haven't found anything of any real substance. I'm assuming, though, that I should treat it just as with the standard nidus? The two I picked up the other day are the fifth species of 'bird's nest' Asplenium (nidus, antiguum, 'osaka' cv, and phyllitidus being the others), with a total of 8 specimens.

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

They are also epiphytes, so they need good draining media...

Ed