Identification: arrowhead or borgorienses Croton

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Creeping Jenny, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

I thought it was a borgorienses but now the new growth is kind of looking arrowhead....

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

And I'm thinking it's a croton....

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

definitely croton. leaf shape can be very variable with some of the varieties.

4. lorax

And I should be thwacked with a fish, for not reading the entire title of this thread. I should have said something along the lines of "And I'm thinking it's Croton borgoriensis. Arrowhead leaves are at the very least triple (having three terminae), while borgoriensis are single to double.

5. Creeping Jenny

lol!!! I wondered what your first post meant! I was thinking to myself that I was going crazy... I guess no more then usual! ha ha! So I was right with my first thought about it being a borgoriensis. yay! Now, do you know why all of a sudden all the new leaves have 2 terminae instead of just one?? It looks kind of funny!

6. lorax

It's maturing? I've only ever seen it happen on older plants - same concept as leaf morphing in the Aroids, although Crotons are only related to those in the sense that they're both plants.

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

croton leaf shape can be varied.

i just got a croton - a different type and i don't know what it is yet - and some of the leaves are different. there are four plants in the pot. one fairly larger (and obviously older) than the other three and one of the three is a bit smaller than the other two. the largest one has the type of leaves that have the leaf and then that thin piece and then another smaller leaf at the end. these smaller leaves have a funky pointed bit at the ends (i'm assuming that these are actually 'babies' and you can root them from that pointed area. totally new to croton, so i've no idea if i'm correct or not!)

the pics i took don't detail this too well, so i'll have to take more. tired right now, so i'll do that over the weekend.

8. lorax

And here's my other brain fart - a lot of what we call "Croton" is actually Codiaeum and its hybrids and cultivars. They're both Euphorbs, but quite honestly when I think Croton I think of trees and not houseplants. Check out Croton lechierii if you want to see what I mean by Croton trees.

9. Creeping Jenny

Mine have the funky pointed bit on some of them too! Ill try to get another one growing for fun!

10. Creeping Jenny

Im going to check it out!