Identification: Armillaria?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Steve G, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Steve G

Steve G Member

I was wondering if this is a variety of Armillaria. I know the mellea species is pretty variable, so am wondering if this is one of the variations.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

It certainly fits with what people refer to as the classical honey mushroom - but you'd need to verify even the genus with a white spore print. However, Tom Volk's newest publication of the genus may differ with the classical 'mellea' epithet. But a honey mushroom by any other name is still a honey mushroom.

3. Steve G

Steve G Member

Thanks MycoRob. I'll take a look at Tom's write up. I don't eat wild mushrooms that I find. Just my quirk..I leave the spores for the future. :-) I'm more a photographer than a mycophile, so as with other subjects, the image isn't as important as the subject and I leave them alone. So I haven't done spore prints. Guess where critical I either will have to change my outlook or accept not knowing.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does honey fungus often pop out of a trunk, if ever?

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Honey mushrooms often emerge from the trunk of a tree, sometimes fairly high up, though usually near ground level. They are also sometimes found apparently growing from the ground but actually growing from buried wood.