areca palm yellowing tips drooping leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mel_dereks, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mel_dereks

mel_dereks Member

Hello i purchased a 5ft Areca palm from a nursery it did very well for the first week, I was nothing but smiles! 3 weeks later my areca's leaves has lost its stiffness, the leave tips are yellowing and average of about 3/8 inch some 2' inches, i have done some research and determined that my plant is possibly potasium and magnesium defecient, can anyone reccomend a product that will repair this? or if im on the right track? I have read to avoid miracle grow and some other products. I think i may need a fertalizer. Has someone here been through this before? Could anyone give me some solid advice i do not want to lose this plant, i have just recently got the "green thumb" addiction and do not want to limit myself to pothous, thank you and looking forward to any help..........

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a potasium and magnesium defecient.A
    Areca palms ARE pretty easy going plantS, so don't worry too much about the tips. It's kinda like spider plants, indoors you might always have a few brown/yellow tips.

It could be your water (hard-water use) and/or lack of humidity. My Areca Palm (11 ft) has some brown tips here and there, but it's unavoidable if it's humidity, otherwise it looks nice and green and healthy.
    Make sure the light is bright but indirect and the soil stays a little on the moist side but not wet all the time.
    Very low light, too much direct sun, drying out too much, or staying too wet for too long, along with over-feeding can cause many more tips to worsen.
    When fertilizing, use less than half the strength that's recommended once ever couple of months or less, none in winter.
    Use rain-water when you can if you have hard-water.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  3. mel_dereks

mel_dereks Member

thanks for the reply appreciate any input i can get, ive been really putting alot of time in spraying down my leaves often and getting it a bit of sunlight and indirect light so i guess all i can do now is play the waiting game, hopefully it recovers... thank you again and i am also open to any other experiences other growers may of had with areca plants this is an indoor plant for now.