Are these Spanish Bluebells?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by jorielle, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jorielle

jorielle Member

Sorry these pictures are not clear. I took them on a rainy day a while ago. Now they are not blooming and the leaves are drying out. I don't know what they are and what to do with them. (There's some onion weed in the second picture.)

Attached Files:

2. jorielle

jorielle Member

Here's a closeup.

Attached Files:

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes.

The leaves die back naturally a few weeks after flowering. If you want to keep them, just leave the bulbs in the soil, and they'll be back same time next year. If you want rid of them (it is listed as an invasive species in some areas), you'll need to dig out all the bulbs; do this before any seed pods mature, as the seeds can also spread.

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Some of my Dutch Hyacinth at one time natualized from seeds I presume back to a wild variety and they are still in my garden every year.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Speaking of hyacinths (Hyacinthus), that's what these are. Bluebells (Hyacinthoides) have similar but nevertheless different, unscented flowers and also differences in the leaves. Stick your nose into the flowers of yours and you should be greeted by a fragrance.

6. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    The flowers that come up in my yard commonly called Grape Hyacinth, I now find out they are called Muscari Armeniacum. Are they the same family of plants?

Attached Files:

7. smivies

smivies Active Member

Grape Hyacinth is the common name used for Muscari armeniacum.

8. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

No those are genuine Hyacinths, Hyacinthus orientalis. Give them bulb fertilizer and they should revert back to their original floriferousness. Do not remove the leaves until they die back on their own.

All the species of Muscari are commonly called "Grape Hyacinth" but have much smaller flowers.

The two genera are closely allied botanically.

9. jeanpierre

jeanpierre Member

Hello,
    Spanish Bluebells ( Hyacinthoides hispanica) are bigger than the Dutch Bluebells. They don't scent
    Dutch bluebells ( Hyacinthoides non-scripta) are smaller but scented. You can find them in some woods in Belgium

http://vvpv-pajottenland.skynetblogs.be/post/5797907/het-bekijken-waard

On the picture, Spanish bluebells with Darmera peltata in the garden. When the leaves of the bluebells disapears the leaves of darmera peltata cover the space.

Jeanpierre

Attached Files:

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It really does look like a relaxed, slender version of the puffed-up garden Hyacinth bulbs. Most of the Bluebells that are weediest, are neither English nor Spanish: but hybrids. Such hybrids demonstrate supreme toughness, grow larger, and often set seeds. (Their botanical name is Hyacinthoides x massartiana Geerinck 1996)

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-bluebell.html