Are these palms?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by bobby-walnuts, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bobby-walnuts

bobby-walnuts Member

I seen these around town, but I don't know what they are. If you could help me identify these that would be great. I want to put them in my backyard. I think they are two different types of palms. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These are yucca plants. Palms have divided leaves, that look like fans or feathers.

3. Are you sure that both of these are yucca plants?? Don't they typically live in the desert and not in the pacific northwest??? We have a lot of rain, and our soil is clay.

4. bobby-walnuts

bobby-walnuts Member

Are you sure that both of these are yucca plants? Don't they typically live in the desert, and not the pacific northwest. . our soil is so wet, and clayish.

5. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

The one on the left could be a cordyline, the one on the right is a Yucca. Yuccas for the most part do quite well in Vancouver. Some species however as you mentioned need a very dry soil. The joshua tree is one of those Yuccas that needs very dry conditions.

6. bobby-walnuts

bobby-walnuts Member

Okay. . thank you very much for your help. . is the one on the right an adams needle yucca? I understand if you don't know. I have already been helped SO much. The left could be a cordyline, huh? Okay. . I will do a little research.