are there any chinese fan palms growing in the Vancouver area or on the island ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by abbotsfordpalmman, Aug 18, 2007.

1. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

hey i heard rumour that the absolute best of microclimates along the coast could possibly being zone 9. has anyone been successful in growing chinese fan palms? i have a few Huge ones that i bought in pots, and i have this spot in my garden completely protected that i was going to hopefully plant them, cover the base with mulch, burlap, and put out some christmas lights around them and hope for the best. anyone know if this is at all possible or am i just plane crazy!? hahaha... i know im definately not one of those nice zone 9 microclimates.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

You'll be certain to kill your Livistona chinensis in most Abbotsford winters. Do't waste your money. There where some growing in False Creek at a condo development some years ago. Planted under the front enterance, these outgrew the height restriction and where slated to be moved. I personally know of some smaller ones in Ganges on Saltspring Island in a similar situation.

Cheers, LPN.