Arbutus: Arbutus Tree

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Unregistered, Jun 5, 2004.

1. I rent a property in Richmond. There is a huge arbutus tree that stands between this poperty and the next property. I believe it is equally covering both sides. it a beautiful tree and other than the leaves coming off in July and replaced with new ones it is no bother at all . It's provides shade and it would be a shame to cut any part of it.
    The neighbors have asked the land lord to cut it down or at least cut half that hangs on that side. This would be a terrible thing. Is there any way to protect these beauties.
    Why do people hate trees.......what's up with that????

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    You may not have a choice, do to liabilities, in some areas if the tree overhangs to another property the owner of that property has the right (or wrong) to trim it.

The best advice I can give is get a Proffesional Arborist in to check it out. They will know what to do and should be able to save the tree or at least do things properly.

Your niebour may have issues that a pro can settle.

Redards Doug

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

to the best of my knowledge you as a homeowner are allowed to prune whatever hangs over the property lineas long as it doesnt cause detriment to the rest of the tree. This is confused when the trunk is on the property line (shared tree) rather than clearly on one side or the other. I always suggest that people talk to their neighbors about the issues they may have with the tree or shrubs. As for cutting it down, if its big enough then you need a permit to do it, if it isnt hazardous (determined by professionals ie. ISA Certified Arborists, Ticketed Urban Foresters; not Aunt Katie with the great vegetable garden) then you may have a tough time trying to get it cut down legally. If for some silly reason your landlord cuts it down or part of it and the remaining tree part is damaged by his actions then you can let them know they would very likely be held accountable and liable. Big trees cost BIG MONEY when valuated by a pro, an Arbutus tree of a size that is not realistically replaceable may have a value into the thousands quite easily.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Funny thing about those Arbutus - they sure are touchy about excess pruning.

Seems that the smaller the pruning increments, the better.