aralia elata aureovariegata

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by eloharein, Aug 12, 2008.

1. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

I recently acquired an aralia, and have planted it in a sunny spot. It's leaves were already dried around the edges, and some branches had leaves that had turned red. After planting, the red leaves dried up entirely, so I removed those branches. The other branches are still curled up and dry, although there is one branch with soft, healthy leaves. Will this tree survive in the sun? I notice that it is listed as a partial shade tree. It was incredibly expensive, so I am anxious not to lose it. It looks fabulous where it is.
    Should I move it, leave it, or maybe plant another tree behind it to create some shade?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not the exposure. Was having a problem when you got it that is continuing in new site. Water mold inferstation on rootstock? Depleted (leached out) potting soil?

3. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

Thank you so much! It makes sense to me that there is a preexisting condition. How do I check for these problems? Should I dig the aralia up and return it to the nursery or can I correct it myself.

4. Ron B

If needs fertilizer then applying that could do it. Nitrogen is most common missing element in gardens here but leached out potting soil could be low in more than just that. Maybe try applying compost to soil surface, with a dusting of a nitrogen fertilizer and seeing what response there is. If you could show a picture of afflicted specimen might be easier to suggest what could be the problem.

More specific idea of what could be going on would require testing of soil for nutrients and pathogens by a lab. Down here WSU Cooperative Extension could be tried for assistance with testing and diagnosis. Don't know what is offered up there.

5. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

Re: aralia elata aureovariegata photos

Here are some photos. (Thanks for that suggestion.) I mulched and applied a temperature release fertilizer when I planted.
    aralia elata aureovariegata.jpg

aralia elata leaf damage.jpg

aralia trunk.jpg

leaves.jpg

aralia trunk and branches.jpg

aralia healthy leaves.jpg

aralia full view.jpg

6. Ron B

Looks as you described, worn out soggy potting soil/possible root rot or other problem of that nature seems likely. Might perk up fairly soon if doing well enough to root into soil of new location, or if infested by water molds or other pathogenic agent might not bounce back, even dwindle away over time. Also looks like rootstock became potbound, as is often the case.

7. eloharein

eloharein Active Member

I checked with the nursery, and they suggest the dry, curled leaves are transplant shock, and to give it some time (it has only been in the ground two weeks). I would get a refund if I return it, but they are not able to obtain another aralia, as this was a special find. I am now faced with either returning a difficult to find and perfect for that spot in my garden aralia and getting my money back (a lot, did I mention that?) or keeping it and hoping for the best.
    What is the flower supposed to look like? Mine seem to falling onto the ground like dust, without fully opening. Is that normal?
    Thanks for taking the time to coach me through this. I feel like I'm in horticultural heaven.

8. Ron B

They would prefer to keep your money. I've worked at a nursery where someone brought back a dead weeping laceleaf maple that never leafed out after being purchased during the (in this case permanent) dormant season, to be told by one of the owners it was still alive (the twigs were not yet dry and brown) and sent on their way.

Transplant shock is top behavior resulting from root loss during transplanting. If you did not maul or cut back the roots during planting there is no transplant shock. And in that case the whole top would droop rather than parts of it failing.

Without digging it up and looking at the roots myself I cannot add much to what I have said already. Laboratory testing for pathogens on the roots might have to be done before it is possible to have a definite idea of what may be taking place.