apple tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by myshkin, Jun 20, 2020.

1. myshkin

myshkin Member

how can I get my hands on an antonovka apple tree ...I had seeds, but they never germinated ...

Cheers, Misha
    in Prince George

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

A brief Google search turned up several Canadian sites that may sell Antonovka apple trees; however, it seems to be too late to get them for this year. You can try TreeTime.ca or saltspringapplecompany.com for shipment next spring. I noticed several sites that sell seeds, and they claim that the open pollinated seeds produce good trees. However, I would not trust any seedling apple tree to produce a good copy of its parent. Your seeds may have not germinated because they weren't vernalized (stored in a cold environment for months). If you really want to try seeds, note that seeds can be shipped easily across the US border; so, many more sources are available.

3. myshkin

myshkin Member

Saltspring Trees never responded to my email ....the seeds I had, I think I stored too long ...but it's interesting that seeds can be shipped across the border ... evidently, the Antonovka apple tree grows true from seed ....

...thanks for your reply ....

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As can be seen by reading the Wikipedia entry that comes up when doing a web search for the topic the name Antonovka covers a group of apples with some shared characteristics. This will of course be due to the practice of raising plants from seed and then using the same name for all of them. In North America there is a history of often using Antonovka apples primarily for rootstocks, which means that suppliers offering rootstocks will be a main way to get material under the name. Consistent with this the Third (2001) Edition of the Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory sourcebook published by Seed Savers Exchange, Decorah, Iowa lists and describes Anotovka only in its Apple Rootstock section. And not in its Apple section.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020