Apple Tree question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by DoctorGamgee, Aug 18, 2007.

1. DoctorGamgee

DoctorGamgee Member

I understand that apple trees are planted in pairs to improve pollenation. But must they be the same type to ensure good fruit? I would like to plant a Granny Smith and a Red Delicious (they are for home consumption, not for sale) and I don't know if I should just do a pair of Granny Smiths, or would I have to get two of each?

Any suggestions?

Dr.G

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

You need two different varieties that bloom at the same time that are not triploid crosses. If Granny Smith and Red Delicious bloom at the same time and are not triploid, they should pollinize each other (I think they do but do not grow either of these varieties so I don't know their bloom times).

3. cf1

cf1 Member

i planted 2 of each granny smith and mcintosh, and only one red delicious. i have apples on all except the one delicious...

4. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

I have one dwarf golden delicious tree. I had no blooms this year. ( I prunned it late in the fall) But last year I had 20 apples. It's such a pretty little tree this year. Just no fruit.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. cf1

cf1 Member

like i said i planted 2 of each ,and i delicious died.. each tree has 2 to 3 apples on it.. i didnt think this year there would be apples, as i only planted them last year.. the trees are about 5 ft tall...as a fact the red delicious never had blooms.. im new to this so im learning as i go..

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Have a read through Growing Apple Trees in the Home Garden North Carolina State Extension and this cross-pollination chart (PDF) from Purdue Univ Extension.

In short, the Granny Smith and Red Delicious trees should be able to pollinate each other (though as silver_creek mentions, they do need to bloom at the same time).

7. DoctorGamgee

DoctorGamgee Member

Thank you for the assistance. We have decided to use Granny Smith and Rainer, as they bloom at the same time (for as much of that as can be determined on paper!). We are also using Bing and Van cherries to do the same thing. Hopefully it will work out.

Dr.G

8. biggam

biggam Active Member

I've never heard of 'Rainer' apple; where are you getting it from?

9. DoctorGamgee

DoctorGamgee Member

Sorry, Braeburn was what I meant to type.

Dr.G