Apple Tree Polinator

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by davendrak, May 28, 2008.

1. davendrak

davendrak Member

Hi,
    I recently planted an APPLE TREE; RED DWARF Delisious in DUBLIN , Ohio;
    There are no other apple/fruit trees in my own garden or in the neighbourhood.
    Do I have to plant another tree for polination? Then what kind of tree ? Please advise me .
    Thanks,
    Davendra

2. avocado

avocado Member

Red Delicious needs a pollinator. I am not an expert on apples but I believe there are 3 different types of bloomers in apples: early, mid, and late bloomers. If you get the same bloomer as a pollenator you would get more production, though, if you have early and mid bloomers or mid and late bloomers then you'll enjoy the fruits in two different months or longer. But, I don't think you should mix early and late bloomers then there will not be much pollinated flowers, thereby not much fruit at all. Since I am not sure which bloomer the Red Delicious are, you can search under apple+pollinators and should do some research. good luck.

3. davendrak

davendrak Member

Thanks a lot for very useful information.
    Davendra

4. jascha

jascha Active Member

Red Delicious is in Flowering Group "D" (or Mid-season, flowering days 12 - 15). Ideally, you need to find another in the Mid-season flowering group. These can include Ashmead's Kernel, Golden Delicious, Grimes Golden, John Downie (crabapple), Ellison's Orange, Winter Banana....to name a few.

5. davendrak

davendrak Member

Hi jascha,
    I very much appreciate and thank you for the very useful information.
    Thanks a lot.
    Davendra

6. biggam

biggam Active Member

Understandably, the terms pollenizer and pollinator are often confused (see wikipedia article on pollenizer). A pollinator for your apple tree is a honey bee or a wild bee. A pollenizer is another tree of another variety. 'Liberty' is another one you could consider planting as a pollenizer for your Delicious tree; or, perhaps there is a crabapple nearby that would do the job.