apple tree disease

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by tilliedillie, Jun 24, 2006.

1. tilliedillie

tilliedillie Member

my apple tree has spots that look like granulated snow. What is it and how do I fix it.

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

It is difficult to say what your problem is without more information. Photographs are often useful in diagnosing pests and disease problems. It is also useful to mention where the problem is occurring, on the fruit, branches, leaves etc.

Often pests and disease differ depending on your location. Here is a link for the extension offices in Nevada. On the left is a list of "area sites" which can show you extension offices in your area. If you bring a sample into your local extension office they can quickly diagnose the problem and provide a solution.

Raakel

3. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

SRAY EVERY THREE WEEKS!!! Its very important to keep that on time. sounds like insects. make sure to look for brown curled leaves thats a type of worm discard the branch as soon as you find it.
    Good luck with the apples

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sorry but this answer doesnt really fit the general direction of the forum according to IPM practices.

Properly identify your plant problem, decide on a threshold acceptable level of damage or population then find the LEAST toxic remedy when the thresholds are breached.

5. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

Thats funny,
    Every orchard owner I know sprays every three weeks for pest control there's organinc pesticides if you prefer but to keep the insects away and to prevent damage I would recomend to spray. I have 20 healthy apples trees that have in the past been neglected due to previouse owners. once they where pruned properly and sprayed they have sone great.

6. nibs

nibs Member

Geez, hope that's MOCHA you're spraying!?!
    In the fine tradition of Southpark "It's coming right for us!"

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

...perhaps ask the orchard owners exactly what they are spraying for. Then we can see if that insect is the cause of the problems for the apple trees in Reno, Nevada.

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the forum has a mandate for IPM, go to the pest management section and you will see the small disclaimer. IPM is currently accepted as a best managment practice where global, across the board spraying is not. You also may want to mention what it is you are suggesting to spray every three weeks, as you havent said if its a fungicide nor an insecticide, which depending on the pest problem, could be completely useless with this situation since there has been no diagnosis. How can you medicate if you have not identified the cause?

9. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It sounds like Wooly apple aphid.

You can fix it with specific insecticide but it's difficult to remove.