Aphids on callas growing outdoors

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mrsdaisy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. mrsdaisy

mrsdaisy Active Member

What is the current recommended practice for removing aphids on outdoor callas? They are a disease transmission vector.

2. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

I believe in attracting predator insects to the garden that will eat the aphids, make sure everyone in the chain has something to eat. Or just hose them off. Whats a "disease transmission vector"? Sounds cool.

3. mrsdaisy

mrsdaisy Active Member

A disease transmission vector is a living organism capable of carry a disease from one living organism to another. In this case, the individual I am trying to help has lavender that he believes may have a virus. Aphid are capable of carrying lavender virus to other plants that are susceptible to it. The infestation is serious enough that a biological control such as lady bugs will not bring it under control in an outdoor environment. Thank you for your comment but I am looking for something to deal with a serious infestation, then it may be possible to utilize biological controls/a healthy growing environment to maintain the situation. I am always in support of maintaining a healthy environment to minimize plant disease. Sometimes extreme weather can stress plants that are growing in marginal areas and they may need a little help. Callas are marginal in this area.

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

You could try insecticidal soap, but it will probably kill eating your aphids lady bugs and their larvae, as well.