Anyone want a couple mature kiwi vines?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by lainyg, Sep 29, 2012.

1. lainyg

lainyg Active Member

These came with the house and we've decided that we don't want to keep them...but I hate the idea of destroying them!

I have no idea if it is possible to move and transplant vines of this size but if you want to give it a try just send me a private message. We are in Abbotsford.

If you search "kiwi" in this forum, you'll find my previous thread with pictures.

Cheers,
    Lainy

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. justalittlegardenobsessed

justalittlegardenobsessed Active Member

Hi there -- if your vines are still available I'd be interested. Thanks very much! D.

4. lainyg

lainyg Active Member

Yes, they're still available. Get in touch with me in the spring!

Cheers,
    Lainy

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Kiwi vines start growing quite early in the spring. It would be better to transplant them before the buds open, which could happen as early as March.

6. justalittlegardenobsessed

justalittlegardenobsessed Active Member

Thanks vitog, I was wondering when the best time to move the kiwis might be. BTW I'm also looking for males, Issai, and other kiwi varieties to graft onto the (very small) Ken's Red and Anna cultivars I currently have... let me know if you would be up for doing any trading of scions. This is what I have to offer in exchange:

Apple scionwood: I have Florina, Jonafree, Karmijn de Sommeville, and Liberty
    Fig: I have Desert King.
    Gooseberry: I have Yellow Hinnomaki
    Currant: Pink Champagne
    Blueberries: I have Polaris and Northland
    Grape: I have a vine that is either Reliance, Canadice, and Suffolk. Sadly, I don't know which as the label fell off.

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Justalittlegardenobsessed, I've already pruned my Kiwi vines but I could supply a limited number of scions for Issai and a male variety of fuzzy Kiwi. Send me a PM, if you are interested.