Anyone out there have a parrot plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Unregistered, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Sorry, no digital picture, but I would really like to know the real name of a plant that was given to me by a lady in British Columbia. She called it a "parrot plant." The flowers actually look like parrots. From the stem, they start out yellow and then turn red, with a hook. The medium green leaves grow to about 8" and drop off at the base as the top of the plant grows. It has grown very fast, seeming to favor muted sunlight. I am wondering if it is actually a tree? I would like to take a cutting from it to start another plant, but I don't want to kill it.

2. parrot plant

i have a parrot plant myself. I've heard that they are very easy to take cuttings from, pinching of the top or a shoot and placing it in water is enough to make it root. In fact, this is how my mother provided all her friends with parrot plants! However, don't be too generous because she did end up killing her plant... Any idea what these plants are meant to look like in shape? Mine is very gangly and bizarre looking!

3. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

See this thread for images of Impatiens niamniamensis, aka parrot plant.

4. Parrot Plant

Is this what you are thinking of?
    http://www.fotolog.net/haydukelives/?pid=7637890

I have pictures of the whole plant. Do not know the scientific name.

~t

5. impatiens niamniamensis

just search for 'parrot plant' on google

6. Parrot Plant

Hi........I'm in British Columbia and yes I once was a proud owner of a beautiful parrot plant. I too gave several clippings out to friends in the hopes that should mine die others would survive. Long story short. Mine died and everyone else neglected theirs. I think I know where to get another clipping and look forward to cultivating another. They are very interesting and spark many a conversation.

7. rwgray

rwgray Member

Parrot Plant Impatiens niamniamensis

<p>
    They seem to be very tolerant in terms of staying alive despite seasonal changes, but we have a basement living room where the temperature rarely goes outside (say) 16-26 Celcius, and judicious use of heating often avoids the lower end of this, although light levels must be more variable. However, the plant is next to our fig tree and very close to the radiator and bay window! All sorts of conflicting influences there...
    <p>
    Also known as 'Congo Cockatoo' or 'Queen Congo', but 'Parrot Plant' (or 'Parrot Tree') is clearly the more appropriate common name (see pic at e.g. <http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/40265.html/> also).
    <p>
    If the plant is disturbed in any way, it tends to shed foliage. Move it or even walk past it too closely, and it will shed. It may shed all of its leaves, especially when relocated. But it just throws up fresh shoots and carries on.
    <p>
    Stake stems up if they are too unruly. Wounds may self-repair.
    <p>
    Our plant more-or-less stops flowering in the winter half of the year, i.e. after the autumnal equinox, i.e. now...
    <p>
    I have seen little sign that it will be troubled by overwatering, and hence no reason to risk dry conditions. When watered, you will rapidly see the water taken up and a sort of sweet sap appearing at the tips of hairs on the leaves and stems.
    <p>
    This drips onto the carpet and causes discoloration. The plants also sheds leaves continuously, and flowers / fruit when in season. I choose to live with this. You may try vaxing and let me know how well it restores the carpet!
    <p>
    I have been trying to find out whether the flowers / fruit have any toxicity, as I have eaten them myself, and have fed them to beloved pet rodents. Any information?
    <p>
    Richard.

8. the real name of the parrot plant

I found the real name of the parrot plant by searching in google... allthough there seem to be diferent varieties the one i have is : Impatiens niamniamensis.
    the latin name it is quite helpful to find information about care instructions.
    is it normal that the flowers shoot straight out of the bottom of the stem ???

9. lord andrew barham

lord andrew barham Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Be careful about overwatering it. I have nearly killed mine twice doing this. Unlike most Impatiens that I'm familiar with, they don't like getting their feet wet.

10. lord andrew barham

lord andrew barham Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Anybody know where I can get seeds for this species? I have been trying for about three years and the few sellers out there are either looking themselves (B&T for example) or charge outrageous shipping costs for a packet of seeds that is also expensive. (eBay sellers are particularly outrageous in the price they charge and the shipping costs.) Thompson and Morgan only sell plants, so one could only buy one in the UK. I got mine out of the dumpster at Gardenworks when I was working there. I don't know how long these plants are supposed to live, and I have no idea how long mine will last. Older stems and even some younger ones keep dying off (though the main stem appears to be healthy). I have managed to get one cutting going, but most attempts to propagate this way have not ended in success, perhaps because I took cuttings from declining stems in the first place.

Also, I am looking for seeds for Allamanda schotii. Bought one from Rona off their sick plant table. It had no label, other than that it was a perennial. I bought it, stuck it in the garden and it grew like a weed producing loads of big bright yellow flowers. However, I began digging, discovered what it was, and learned that it might be perennial in Brazil of South Florida, but it sure ain't perennial in our climate. Luckily, I took a cutting which I still have, though again, I nearly lost it at one point.