Anyone know this variety of Camellia?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wynn, Mar 17, 2007.

1. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Can anyone indentify this camellia? It was originally purchased for a garden in this area but the plant (now at a house since sold) is very mature and I haven't yet been able to definitively identify the variety in order to source it. It think it is a x williamsii (maybe "Huge Stevens")? Any Sherlocks out there? Thanks.

Wynn

Attached Files:

2. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

That's interesting. It looks like it certainly was hybridized. I think it looks much nicer that the typical plant. I've been thinking of tossing mine out - since they get so rusty looking... so soon.

Yours looks great!

3. wynn

It's different isn't it. I understand from my reading that this "williamsii" hybrid also has the nice characteristic of promptly dropping its old flowers which helps keep the bush looking fresh, not to mention a nice carpet of petals.

Wynn

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You probably don't want to hear that after browsing through Macoboy's The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Camellias, I ended up with no results. There were a few possibilities, but unfortunately, few of which can be found online for comparison, e.g., 'Frances Butler'.

You're welcome to come by to the garden and use our Camellia books in the library to try and sort it out - Macoboy's has a thousand+ photographs - I didn't browse through the other six books.

5. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

6. wynn

Thank you both Daniel and HortLine for your time and assistance. This is proving to be a tougher ID than I ever thought! While perusing camellia images initially, I had made a note about "Bob Hope", also one called "Huge Stevens". I'm not sure from the photo if the petals of these are as narrow and twisted as the picture - I would have to see them in person I think. It is good to know about the local presence of BH though, that could be the key to solving it. Now I just have to find a source (and perhaps more photos) of BH. I did find the exact duplicate of this camellia on-line on one of the castle garden sites but -- wouldn't you know it - no ID!

Thanks for the help - I'll let you know if it proves to be good 'ol Bob.

Wynn

7. wynn

Think we found it! "Moshio" camellia. The flower looks right although the label looks a bit different, perhaps there is some variability in the flower form.

Wynn

8. wynn

Oops, spoke too soon. Another variety suggested is "freedom bell". This picture seems definitive!