Anyone know anything about Tricolor Stromathe?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by reasha, Oct 29, 2009.

1. reasha

reasha Member

I have a tricolor stromathe. I love it, mine is taller and the foliage is thinner than pictures Ive seen. Also, The leaves are turning brown on the edges. This cant be from underwatering because I keep the soil moist. Also I know that the stromanthe likes partial shade so I dont have it in any windows, which may be the problem. I dont know. I also though it could be because of the humidity level in my home is so dry, so I made my plant pebble tray. There is some new growth but I dont want to lose my new leaves. What can I do? Here is a picture of my plant.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

are you using water straight from the tap or are you allowing it to sit overnight before watering the plant?

allowing it to sit allows excess chlorine to dissipate and gives the water time to get to room temp. too much chlorine (and other minerals) can cause tip browning as can water that is too cold (it shocks the plant).

that container looks like what the plant would have been in when it was purchased. the plant may be rootbound and/or need new and/or better soil - either situation can also cause tip browning.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I would aslo spray the plant ..misting it is better then a pebble tray ... and i would repot it .. i wouldnt doubt it that it is rootbound ..
    they are such a pretty plant .. i have always wanted one ..

Marion

4. reasha

reasha Member

To:Joclyn, I have just recently been using filtered water, the same kind that I drink and have been allowing it to get room temp. Now, Im sure that its rootbound, but I just bought some potting soil yesterday and I think I found a bigger pot. That is what I was thinking too.

To:Marn, I will start spraying it too. I also considered buying a humidifier for it. It is too big for my bathroom.

Do you guys think it is just too dark in its location as well? Should I put it in a window?

5. Marn

Ya i would get it in a window .. it is a tropical plant ... give it filtered light for now and see how it does along with the fresh repoting ..
    that has always been one of my fav plants .. just cant find it around here anymore .. i would love to find one ..

Marion

6. reasha

reasha Member

Yeah, Im going to. I looked at your site. Lovely pictures! I love your cat Radar. Wow what a personality he has. He looks like my cat Maggie.

7. Marn

Thanks.. i havent done anything with that site for a long time .. I lost Radar over a year ago .. he went out one spring and never came back .. i dont know what happend to him .. i miss him so much . he was the coolest cat ever ..
    Alot of the plants i had in that site i no longer have .. i used to have over 80 plants .. now im down to about 15 if that .. just didnt have the room anymore ..

Marion

8. reasha

reasha Member

Well Im sorry about Radar, He seemed like a really cool cat. However, I loved your photography. Do you sell your prints? I would like to have one of the dragonfly agaist the leaves.

9. Marn

Ya he was a cool layed back cat ... im hopeing that he is still around and will show up one day .. we can all be wishfull thinkers ... :) he is the poster kitty for Curiousity killed the cat .. he was curious of any open doors .. a yard persons trailer pulling up .. and stuff like that .. i think that may have been what got him .. he got caught in some ones open door and they didnt know it.. ... :( ..

if you are wanting one of the shots from that website of the dragon fly you can copy it .. i will give you permision to do so .. as long as it is just for your personal use ..

usualy i would sell them but that is one of my older shots .. from a few years ago ..

Marion

10. reasha

reasha Member

Okay, thank you. I love that picture.