Anyone in Va. area going to Eastwood Nurseries Open House?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mattzone5b, May 22, 2008.

1. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

I just wondered is anyone going to Eastwood Nurseries in Washington,Va. open house? There is a link below for info. 3 days this weekend and then again in 2 weeks. I am going to go this saturday. I have never been to a JM nursery, should be a good time and many pics.

www.japanesemaples.com

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

no, out of my area, but I followed your link. The CD of maples looks interesting. I might have to check it out.

3. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

I have actually heard the cd is excellent from a few people.

4. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Matt,

I've never been to the Eastwood Nursery but for a while Eastwood had a booth with trees and books at the Phila flower show. I bought several plants over the years. Pleased with them. I also got Book for Maples there.

Enjoy your visit and report back please.

Gil

5. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

Good to hear Gil, I will let you know how it was. I am thinking about getting an
    A. p. 'Omure yama', A. p. 'Seiryu' or A. S. 'Autumn Moon'. Maybe if I am lucky, more than 1. Who knows, I may see something I didn't know I liked.

6. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

There's said to be a feature planting of several 'Yezo nishiki' at the head of the driveway there. Worth seeing, no doubt.

My vague memory of Washington, VA, is largely a haze of hot muggy summers, scary Christian redneck neighbors, and marijuana. Should be a nice day trip.

7. Poetry to Burn

Matt,

What's the dillio with Eastwood? Was it as glamorous as Kaspian claims?

8. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

Well, the selection was wonderful. I picked up a A.P. 'Omure Yama' and a A.S. 'Autumn Moon' that were not more than 18" tall but well branched.

They had a many mature specimens there and they were beautiful. Very nice to see what some of mine might look like one day. The organization outside the greenhouse was non-existant though. It was hard to find and identify the larger specimens for they weren't all labeled like the 1-5 gallon trees.

Unfortunately I didn't get many pictures because my battery died on my camera. Overall, it was a great time though. You could easily spend a few hours there and as much money as you wanted. It is really off the beaten path to get out there. A very long gravel road winding between some mountains. Beautiful scenery even if the grass, etc. was unkept.

9. Poetry to Burn

Sounds fun. I'd pop over if it were closer. When I met the Eastwood owner in Philly he had a kind of Bohemian bent. Your description of his spot sounds about right.

Pics of your purchases Matt?

10. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

I have been reluctant to post them. They were in the greenhouse so the 'Autumn Moon' didn't have a chance to develop the trademark colors yet. I also had moved them in spot that got shade most of the day yet 1 hour of late afternoon sun and the leaves are burned. I am sure they will recover and they aren't burned terribly except on a couple. I will try to get a pic this week put up here.

It funny that you made that comment about the owner. I had mentioned that to my wife and we think you have him pegged with the Bohemian comment. He was a nice guy but seemed to live in his own little world out there.