Anyone have luck germinating coffee seeds?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by geophagia, May 17, 2008.

1. geophagia

geophagia Member

I've tried a few different times with no luck...I've taken the red "cherries" from the tree, fermented in water, I've taken almost dead looking ones from the tree. Unfortunately, after waiting for an extreme amount of time I give up. I would still like to sprout some, though...

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Never tried growing coffee, but on general principles for berries, (1) use fresh berries, not 'almost dead looking' ones, (2) skip the fermentation (the yeasts and fungi which ferment the fruit pulp can also kill the seed), and (3) trim off the fruit pulp off by hand, and scrub the seed clean, before planting.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Coffee seeds are not hard to germinate. In fact, most all coffee trees are grown from seed. Select seed from trees that produce high quality beans. If the seeds are not planted at once they should be stored in a slightly humid, cool environment, where they will keep for a few months. Coffee seeds are *ALWAYS* planted under shade. They germinate in about 4 to 6 weeks. The best to you, and your new coffee tree. - Millet

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I did grow a Coffee tree about 25 years ago. It grew so well and tall that I gave it to my in-laws who had a large sunroom. It outgrew that too and was disposed of with no where to put it. It flowered and produced some beans but not in any sizeable quantity.

Cheers, LPN.

5. Millet

Other than for the novelty of growing a coffee tree, there is not much reason to do so. Even in the optimum environment of the tropics, a coffee tree only produces about one pound of coffee per harvest, but because the beans do not all mature at the same time a normal harvest period is spread over 3-4 months. Coffee grown as a residential tree normally produces about 1/4 pound per year. - Millet

6. geophagia

geophagia Member

I want to grow it mostly due to nostalgia (I lived in HI for a few years), but also for the beauty. I love the look of a coffee tree with shiny red berries poking out amongst the leaves. I think the biggest issue is maintaining the proper amount of moisture during the germination process. At any rate, the director of the greenhouse that I used to work at is giving me a healthy young tree since the greenhouse is transitioning to only natives. Thanks for the responses!

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've always had good results with just planting whole ripe coffee cherries in the shade. Then again, I live in the tropics, so my soils and moisture are probably optimal.

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Geez Millet ... I hope you and yours are OK after that devistating tornado in the Denver area!?

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

9. Millet

Thanks for the concern Berry, the tornadoes were about 25 miles north of me. Usually, I see one or two tornadoes ever year, but have never been directly hit. The closest one was about 1/2 mile away, which was several years back. However, never say never. - Millet