Anyone have issues growing Wilson's Pink Dwarf?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, Jul 25, 2019.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hey guys,

Anyone have issues with this variety? Thanks

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't grow it, though would like to add. Meant to be trouble free I believe, the main problem being it's not a dwarf and quickly gets huge if left to it.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No problems growing this one , very slow grower though had mine in the ground now for eight years and in that time it's only grown just over three foot and now stands at just over five foot so not a large tree by any means.

Very narrow width wise and will grow easily between other cultivars with out spreading into them , never touched this re pruning etc just plant and leave well alone , looks after itself i find never really do anything with this one.

Pictures of this one in the fall of last year to start (lovley yellow and red colours) then spring and now summer with it's new second flush starting pushing out.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Just as grafting normally sized woody plants onto low vigor, named clonal rootstocks can result in consistently dwarfed top growth dwarf cultivars placed onto random seedling rootstocks can become invigorated by this situation, grow out of character.

emery likes this.
  5. emery

Shh. One of the dirty little secrets of the maple business. Random rootstock = random performance. I keep waiting for someone to tissue culture understock to provide consistent, clean, well characterized plants.

Glad that Mark's 'Wilson's Pink' has stayed small, but I've seen many pictures of very large ones.

Someone on FB recently posted a 'Mikawa yatsubusa' that was about 12ft high and even wider.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

They also do this with fruit trees. Dwarf understock eliminates the need for a lift while harvesting. Easier to focus on quality and allows more light into the canopy. Larger fruit production in smaller space.

Back to maples. I believe grafting onto matsumurae root stock causes variability in scion to aid in "discovery" of a "new" cultivar.

7. emery

LOL. And yet there are so many "new" ones. This is funny but also interesting, I hadn't heard that.

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Actually I checked into it as I was going by memory this morning and it's actually amoenum rootstock that is used to cause changes in the scion to get a new cultivar.