Anyone growing Photinia davidiana undulata?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Suze415, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Suze415

Suze415 Active Member

Still looking for a broadleaf evergreen shrub that is plenty hardy and will get 7'. I'm interested to hear how you like it, any quirks I should know about, etc.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Comparatively see through habit typical. Also fire blight becomes a possible recurring problem if we start getting many spring days above 70F due to climate change. And in the meantime this species is a weed in this region, rather often popping up on wooded sites. As do English and Portugal laurels, English holly.

At this point in your project I recommend waiting until next spring or summer, when independent garden centers are stocked back up again and browsing what they have at that time. Swanson's tends not to have a lot of large sized broad-leaved evergreen material, but nevertheless you might go there next season and find something you like anyway. Sky could also turn out to have what you want at some point. But otherwise the one serving the Seattle area market that seems to make a specific effort every year to present tubbed broadleaf evergreens big enough for instant effect is Wells-Medina, across the floating bridge and on the right, near the golf course.

Of course, if you are intent on using large plants from the start you are talking about hundreds of dollars per unit, multiplied by as many times as it takes to fill the entire lineal distance.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    if this is the same privacy screen topic as the viburnum - how wide do you want it to be?

and maybe look at the bamboo avail - i am not a bamboo fan because I have a traditional garden - tho it looks nice in some of the modern industrial looking neighborhoods (house styles) - and one has to be very sure of invasive-ness.

I realize you are on the USA side of border - however, there is lots of info on the website of the popular nursery out in the Fraser Valley here (north of Lynden WA)
    Canada's Bamboo World | Home Page

4. Ron B

Web site of Bamboo Garden near Portland is a good one to look at down here. Speaking of Vancouver area if it's still present there is a nice Fargesia hedge at a property on the right just before entering UBC on SW Marine.

5. Suze415

Suze415 Active Member

Bamboo does not fit with our aesthetic either. We've got a rock garden, woodland, native look going on.

There's not much point in waiting for Spring for an idea. Every idea I've come across seems to have some issue. If I can find the right plant, I can try to source it now, and if I have to wait till Spring then I have to wait for Spring. At the moment the best idea seems to be another conifer. I'd love to mix it up more with a broadleaf but can't seem to find one, aside from a sun-tolerant rhododendron which would require a lot of patience to really fill in.

6. Ron B

7. Georgia Strait

Very nice photo example - I think I’ve changed my mind about bamboo already!

what is the former private estate now garden nr Seattle ? And a famous landscape arch came and helped finish / renovate? Maybe that has inspiration on website if not in person .

8. Georgia Strait

The example garden I speak of might be Kruckeberg ... tho I may be mistaken

I am sure there is a rectangular pool that had a surrounding hedge re-done to original plan

I think I read about it on landscape arch website

EDIT - I am mixing diff gardens all fabulous - the reflecting pool example with lots of other garden rooms is of course Bloedel.