Anyone growing Anthurium cutucuense?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Sep 18, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Active Member 10 Years

I got my first one about 15 years ago from a place in Hawaii. I put it out in my greenhouse where the daytime temps from roughly April 1-October are 90+ in the day and 70-75 at night. It died a real quick death. Fast forward to now when I am a lot more seasoned and a little smarter. (at almost 61 I like to feel like I have gained wisdom with age). I got another one in a trade. Even before it came in the mail I had a terrarium set up just for it. Right under the A/C vent...with a fogger on a timer to fog at intervals 24/7. And a nice big piece of cork bark to climb. I have had it for about a month now and it is doing really well. I have supplemented the tank with some orchids (Bulbophyllum, Lepanthes) a Rhaphidophora pachyclada start, some Solanum 'Ecuador', a start of Rhaphidophora cryptanthus and a cutting of Pothos barbarianus (to start). I will be adding other stuff later, maybe a Racineae crispa 'red form'. Interested in others terrarium (or other) growing experiences with this anthurium

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Wow, nice! I've been wanting to make a case about that size for awhile now. I'd sure love to see a pulled-back photo of the whole thing. Do you have a fan inside? What kind of lighting did you go with?

3. bihai

bihai Active Member 10 Years

No fan inside, but I have a small clip on that blows obliquely across the vent that runs in front. It moves enough air to swirl the fog around inside when the fogger is on without blowing it out. I have a full spectrum bulb also shining obliquely so that there is little real direct light hitting the plant. I am able to keep it cool enough to be happy so far. The base is a layer of Aliflor covered with a screen and topped with just moss. I received the plant well rooted in moss, it has always been grown in moss, so I left it in that and just unspotted it and set the whole mass on the floor and kind of smoothed out some of the moss. This is my 6th terrarium set up, I have another for a Philodendron Furcatum that was really struggling in the heat of the greenhouse. Petsmart has some really reasonable cases lately, the one for the cutucuense was $99. Its really a palludarium case but I needed the full height for the plant