Identification: Anyone able to identify this cactus for me?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ocollis, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ocollis

ocollis Member

Hey, i was bought this cactus as a present last week. However i know very little about cacti and want to know how to look after it properly, so i need to identify it. After a while on google i couldn't find anything that looked anything like it. It doesn't look like any cacti I've ever seen before. Can someone help me?
    Thanks
    Ollie

Attached Files:

2. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

It's a crested form, think it's called Myrtillocactus geometrizans (probably has a new name by now, cacti seem to get re-classified almost weekly) but here's a link with a pic for you:
    fireflyforest.net/firefly/2007/04/03/myrtillocactus-geometrizans-dinosaur-back.

3. ocollis

ocollis Member

Thank you, that has been a great help

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

My money's on Euphorbia lactea forma cristata.

HTH
    Chris

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree with chris.

6. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Its not a cactus at all, its a Euphorbia.

Its a crested Euphorbia lactea.

Myrtillocactus geometrizans still has the same name but thats not the plant in the picture.

7. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, all, I've only seen what was labelled as the cactus I indicated at local big box stores; good to know there is a euphorbia like this.

8. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Holy cow! Whatever its genus/species, it would be a great prop in the next Star Trek movie. Very cool. You clearly have friends with excellent taste in gifts.---In what medium is your plant growing?

9. Cereusly Steve

They have use far more mundane plants as props on Star Trek.

I've noticed Agave attenuata, Pachypodium lamerei and Sansevieria trifasciata to be the ones most often used. They are as exotic as stock plants in a California nursery can be.

Would you have it on a Klingon or a Romulan ship? Vulcans have little use for such frivolities as house plants.

10. togata57

But they do find them FASCINATING. Personally, I think that the cactus (my bad: EUPHORBIA) would make a lovely baby-shower gift for the Horta.

11. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

ROFL!!!!

12. togata57

And since when are house plant "frivolities"? They are, of course, NECESSITIES.

13. Cereusly Steve

Frivolities are necessities? That is not logical. There is no room for unnessary baggage on a starship. One navigational miscaululation and you could be light years off course and lost forever.

What would a subterranean silicon based life form like a Horta do with a house plant? There are no windows in their underground tunnels. They prefer crystal anyway!!

Hev you ever noticed that Ferengi like to dress in purple?

May the farce be with you.

14. togata57

Patiently, she repeated: House plants are necessities. Therefore, their presence is imperative and necessary in whatever heavenly conveyance one resides. Am unsure as to what navigational miscalculation a Euphorbia, lactea or otherwise, could induce one to commit...although...it does have a hypnotic quality...Do you set yourself up as a Horta expert? She shows herself to be an active and caring parent. Why should she not take an interest in a plant that may well be part silicon itself? Besides which, as stated above, houseplants are a NECESSITY to all living creatures. Does the Horta not live? Indeed she does. As Capt. Kirk, that Bard fan, might say: There are more things in heaven and earth than are dream't of in your philosophy.

Try to not notice Ferenghi at all. Glad that you do so.

15. Cereusly Steve

As that infamous 70's pop group did say:

Are we not men? We are DEVO!!!

An homage to the "Island of Dr. Moreau."!

Remined me not to let you pilot a Cessna.

If it wasn't for that one more piece of extra luggage, Aaliyah would be alive today.

A silicon based life form such as the Horta would quickly destroy a carbon based bit of vegatable matter, even if unintentionally because of their very high body temperature and acid slime.

As that renaissance man, Captain Picard did say:

What a piece of work is man.

16. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I think you two should meet.

17. togata57

Yeah, me too---in a boxing ring, perhaps. With the Horta as referee. Loser to be fried and slimed.

Devo headgear would make a lovely receptacle for the euphorbia, nicht wahr? Am sure that Mothersbaugh et al. would be amused by their group's irrelevant evocation.

Does the world really need an homage to "T.I.O.D.M."? Really? "Hellboy", yes. The aforementioned, not so much.

As if I need your permission to pilot a Cessna! As if I want to!

Speaking of pieces of work, Steve...

18. Cereusly Steve

Nobody seems to have noticed that the crested Euphorbia lactae is grafted onto Euphorbia trapifolia. There are many different color forms of the crested E. lactea now available commercially.

How about saturday in the park with the Q continuum?

Q meet Q.

Now that Guinan is on the View with Baba Wawa, anything is possible.

Do fly that Cessna off into the sunset with Chester.

You should be more careful and say "Heckboy" or "Thatbadplaceboy" because it more acceptable to say that here than saying something potentially profane.

19. togata57

Sorry, I work on Saturdays. Besides which, Q irks me greatly. Quelle poseur!

Am sure that the high-quality folks who read this stuff are conversant with current movies based upon graphic novels. OK, then: "Anung un Rama". Or, more familiarly: "Red". And just what ISN'T potentially profane? In the eye of the beholder,eh?

Sorry, Chester. I apologize for the potential profanity of someone else's Cessna remark.

Glad to know that you are current with "The View". Think that falls into the "potentially proPane" category. Possibly even attaining the fully-realized level.

Well, I note that my question of some light-years ago has yet to be answered: In what medium is the Euphorbia lactae/lactea/trapifolia growing?

If you are in the market for an orthography coach, just ask.

20. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Zadite.

21. togata57

Thank you.

22. Cereusly Steve

"Light-Year" is a measurement of distance not time, Togatillo. You will need to reset your cesium tachometer.

Zadite is the medium? Looked like top dressing to me. You know better than me. I'm no plant whisperer.

23. togata57

Indeed. I can well imagine. If your technique with plants resembles that with this lector benevole, I agree completely: whispering has nothing to do with it. And let's just leave my cesium tachometer out of this. I know how fast I'm going! Yeah, light-years are a distance measurement. We've traveled several hundred word-miles here, have we not? Did not spend ALL my time in high school sketching orchids in my 3-ring binder. ---As for Zadite, it sounds like a monastic order I may just be moved to join. Togata the Zadite. I become more Zaditic by the moment.