Any plumcot/pluot growers in Lower Mainland?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by vitog, Nov 16, 2022.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

As a lark, I bought a basket of plumcots while shopping, since I was curious about their taste. I found them to be very sweet and firm-fleshed, quite superior to the five varieties of plums that I have on one tree. Is anyone here growing plumcots or the similar pluots? I would like to buy or trade for some scion wood, since I don't have any room for a whole new tree.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Since no one replied to this thread, I decided to buy a whole tree and get scion wood from it. After considerable Web research, I decided that the pluot variety "Dapple Dandy" appeared to be the closest to the "plumcots" that I had tasted, that was what I decided to buy. Only a few nurseries in Canada offer any plumcots/pluots; so eastern Canadian nurseries seemed to be the only choices. Whiffletree Farm & Nursery had the best price that I could find, and I've had a good result from a previous purchase there. They've just received their first delivery of spring stock and currently have several pluot varieties, in case anyone is interested in acquiring one. They also offer what they call a "nursery grade" tree for $20 less than their regular price; since all I wanted was scion wood, I was glad to take advantage of this. As seems to be common for these eastern nurseries, they won't ship until late April, which might be too late for grafting. So, I will plant the tree for future scion wood as well as taking some scion wood this year.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I bought some pluot fruits (no variety name given) at Kins market three years ago and loved them. I don't know whether Kin's didn't get them in for the past two years or I just missed seeing them, but I hope you grow lots of them and get them into the markets.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. wcutler

That's on page 15, with peach and nectarine cultivars on the previous page. I was interested to see the cultivar names, as of 2015 anyway.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When I click on the link I provided the relevant table appears.

7. wcutler

This time it did.