Any experience with Longans from seed?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by The New Guy, Apr 29, 2009.

1. The New Guy

The New Guy Active Member

I was eating some longan fruit that I had purchased at an Asian market, and I noticed that most of the seeds had already started to open (and even sprout) while still in the fruit. I saved some and planted them to see if I would get anything. Has anyone done this before? Any care tips / advice?

I intend on keeping only one of the plants that will come up, and raising it in a pot (as I’m sure it would not survive my winters outdoors). Down to what temperate can these plants live?

Thank you for any help.

2. nelson20vt

nelson20vt Member

I noticed that too the last time I bought them at the asian market. If you plan on planting them just put the seed sideways in soild not too deep about half an inch below the surface. I put mine in soil right after I ate it put it sideways of course withing 6 days It had a taproot going down and a little stem going up. One of the easiest seeds to germinate for me so far.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Never tried Longans, but Lychees (closely related) are very easy to germinate. The problems come with slightly older plants; being rainforest plants they are very sensitive to the low humidity typically found indoors, resulting in unsightly brown dead tips on the leaves. They need hot steamy Turkish bath conditions to do well.