Any experience with fresh chicken manure?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Fine ocean parker, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

I have some fresh chicken manure ( 1-2 month old ). I was thinking about spreading it around my plant and vegetable gardens. I was told it can be fairly strong and perhaps should sit for up to a year. I was wondering if I can just spread it sparingly or make tea with it or.... And input would be great.
    Thanks

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It would be best to combine the fresh chicken manure with a high-carbon mulch like sawdust before applying it. Otherwise, yes, use it sparingly like a chemical fertilizer.

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I use chicken manure most years on my veggies. I am lucky enough to have a small poultry farm close by. It comes mixed with about 50% sawdust/fine woodchips. I apply an inch or so in the winter or early spring & scuff it into the top 2-3 inches of soil. This helps keep up the organic matter in my light soil & provides a good basic level of nutrients for most things. My soil is very active with all kinds of organisms & I haven't tilled it or dug it other than scuffing the top 2-3 inches, as above, for several years.

I keep some manure back & use it later in the year to top-dress around heavy feeders. I also mix some in with fresh garden clippings in a heap & get lovely rich compost after a year or so that gives a gentle boost to roses and other ornamentals that need some feeding.

Fresh and not mixed with chips/sawdust/compost it could burn existing plants. Just dilute it in some way similar to my subjective & experiential solutions above. If mixed & spread, a week of weather should calm it down.

Great stuff! Have fun.

4. tanlin

tanlin New Member

anyone knows where to buy chicken compost manure? I live in south surrey, BC.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member