Any advice on this Higasa yama?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by marymyers, May 4, 2015.

1. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

This is the second year that Higasa yama has had this strange limb. The limb comes off curved from the tree and it leafed out 2 weeks prior to the rest of the tree. Vertrees has mentioned that this may happen on this tree, but will change back to the original leaf form after two years. Do any of you have experience with this happening? If so did the branch go back to the typical leaf?

My problem is that this tree looks very strange. Would it look better if I clipped off this odd branch? I just wish it was a great "witches broom".

Attached Files:

2. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Hi mary,
    Vertrees is awesome info. You only have one more year to wait. What I think is interesting? Is the green growth also has variegation. I think it is a different plant. I think I heard in old Japanese text to chop. But I would wait a year or more just because I don't really know, Graft the new growth before chopping and watch. Try growing it as its own plant, maybe in will invert back to the desired growth? It has lovely variegation.. One more year to wait before xhopping... Great photos. )

3. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Hi mary,
    I was just thinking about your tree again and wanted to add to my comment. It also looks like a perfect opportunity to do an air layer. The growth in question looks out of balance with the desired growth and might need to be pruned anyways. Doing an air layer at "that" branch. You get to experiment and also get a new tree. )