Identification: Another type of Tradescantia??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by abonneau, Sep 10, 2006.

1. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Looks like a mini Zebrina, so I'm guessing it's a type of Tradescantia.

Can someone give me more info?

Annie ;-)

Attached Files:

• 33.JPG
      33.JPG
      File size:
      659.5 KB
      Views:
  2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Yes, what you have is a variety of Tradescantia. Possibly Tradescantia fluminensis.

3. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Tradescantia fluminensis: that's exactely it, but with purple. Do you think there's another name for the purple one?

4. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

I don't know the species, but I believe this is commmonly known as Bridal Veil, gets tiny white flowers in clouds, tri-petaled. Very pretty and easy to grow.

5. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Yes, I think you are right! thanks!!

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

yes it is a Bridal Veil wandering jew .. they are really cool looking plants .. they will grow very thick .. may have to thin it out and start new plants :) they really like late morning/early noon sun ..
    they grow really fast also ..

Marn

7. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Marn, fast you say?!!!

They grow VERY FAST indeed! ;-)

I got one stem about a year ago and it's already super big. I'm making "babies" for everyone I know!

I'm enjoying my indoor plants very much. I have a mix of slow and fast growing in my house and I realised that I prefer having at leat 80% of plant medium to slow growing. Or else I pass my time trimming them and making babies.

I started an outside garden this year, but too late (didn't have grass or fence until a month ago). So next year I'll be asking quesitons about my outside garden!

Marn, do you have any pics of some of your plants?

8. Marn

lol. they grow faster then you can clip em .. :) wandering jews are one of the of the fastest and easy to grow plants .. but still a very nice houseplant as they just grow so nice and full

here is a link to some of the plants I used to have .. i dont have them all as some have died .. but i used to have about 80 plants .. and was running out of room .. watch out they get addicting .. :)

http://www.eoni.com/~uco/plantopia/

Marn

9. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

I love your Lipstick plant and Goldfish. I am unfamiliar with them tho...

Are they easy to come by?

And what kind of plant is a Mimicry?

10. plantlady62

lipstick and goldfish are both in the gesneariad family(as are african violets) and that is how they are grown. Good light,not full hot sun, allow to go slightly dry before watering, avoid water on leaves. Easy to grow, not too hard to find. Mimicry is a succulent, grow as your christmas cactus.

11. Marn

ya they are both pretty easy to come by .. chek your local walmart store.. home depot and those kind of places.. same with the Mimicry .. Walmart always has them .. i love the color in them ..

Marn

12. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

plantlady62: I don't have much luck with African Violets, so maybe it's not a good idea! ;-) But I might try the mimicry. By the way, I'll post a picture of my mini x-mas cactus on the cactus Forum. 2 days since the "birth" and it's not even dead yet!

Marn: the colour is indeed amazing. I'm soooo getting one!

13. Marn

actually african violets are not that hard .. just use a pot that you water from the bottom .. thats all .. i never had luck before .. i got a leaf .. it rooted .. and the next year i had flowers.. give it a try .. you will amaze yourself.. alls you need is one leaf with some stem . stick it in the dirt ..that has been watered once from the top ..

with the mimicries .. keep them in bright sun ... and dont water to often ..

Marn

14. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

I have two African Violet. One mini one who's doing wonderful (on my Kitchen window, morning sun)

My other one (about 8 months old) is a bit bigger. Near a window, afternoon sun. that one is not doing super good. I'll post a pic tonight if you don't mind looking at it.
    I'm constantly loosing leaves. One or two every month (or so). I take care of NOT wetting the leaves but still... It does bloom every 4-6 weeks for about a month. What's the normal blooming cycle of a African violet?

I will try to water it form the bottom as of now...

PS: if you are tired of me asking tons of questions please don't hesitate to tell me...

15. plantlady62

My violets bloom almost nonstop on a western bay window, sun doesn't hit them until veeerrry late in the day. Thats also the window I have my orchids in, they bloom about 6 or 7 months ar so. They're also easy to grow, esp. dendrobians.

16. Marn

oh dont worry about asking to many questions... you can never ask to many :)
    thats what we are here for .. and that is how ya learn .. i need to start another African Violet ... they have pretty flowers..

mine had gotten early morning sun and it bloomed for the first time from just starting from a leaf .. it grew really nicely ..
    I also used Schultz Liquid Fertilizer and i swear by that stuff ..

Marn

17. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

I also want to try to start a new African Violet. I have some root powder and will try sometime this week.

Schultz is also want I use for my African Violets (8-14-9 for African Violet). I love this stuff! ;-)

When are you going to start yours?

18. Marn

lol.. i need to get a leaf first .. i will start one soon one of these days .. :)

Marn

19. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Too bad I can ship a couple to you! ;-)

20. Marn

i know it would be cool but plants cant be shipped across the border .. if i still lived in Canada it wouldnt be a problem .. :)

Marn

21. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

To tell you the truth, I didn't even know it was possible to ship parts of plant by mail!

22. Marn

oh ya it is easy to ship plants in the mail .. just wet paper towel .. keep it damp.. wrapp the roots or stems with it .. then use saran wrap around the paper towel to keep it wet and then wrap the whole plant in news paper like a cone .. like how you would recieve flowers from a florist... then put it in the box i usually shred some newspaper and put it around to keep the plants from getting banged around .. then ship it off .. :)
    ive shipped many of plants... cuttings ... all over the US ..
    if you are gonna send a whole plant still in dirt .. i would recomend takeing as much dirt off the roots before shipping .. as it will weigh less and wont cost so much .. you can easily get the dirt off by soaking in water for a lil bit..

Marn

23. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Thanks Marn! It's good to know! I may try it some day! ;-)

24. Marn

Your Welcome.. :)

Marn