Another tree that is not a cherry

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blog' started by wcutler, May 1, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is another note I sent out to the cherry scouts, last week.

I feel bad about writing to so rarely, and when I do, it’s about everything except ornamental cherries. So I will just start by saying that we are in late cherry season now, and flowers for all of the trees in our book have put in an appearance somewhere. And there are still blossoms hanging on the mid-season trees – ‘Takasago’ flowers in the West End are what I would call lilac-coloured now. Late season ‘Ukon’ have been out for a while, won’t be looking good that much longer, though the flowers will take on some interesting colours – pink with some of them splotched with green. The main interest now will be ‘Kanzan’, particularly all the very many streets with big trees on both sides forming a nice canopy.

No sooner did I mention in my last note our famous two-tone wonder-trees, half pink ‘Kanzan’ and half single white flowers from the Prunus avium rootstock, then people started finding them – Anne Eng posted the first one below in Kensington-Cedar Cottage, and Nadia Smirnova sent the second from Surrey or White Rock. You should easily be able to find one of these near you – or one in the making – notice the growth from the root area, check the flowers to see if the sepals on the back are curled back so you see circles instead of stars.
    20200418_E21Dumfries_AviumKanzan_Eng_1676.jpg 20200422_WhiteRock_Kanzan-avium_Nadia_22-4-2020-2.JPG

The other not-cherries I want to mention, that are coming out right now, are crab apples. The festival has already had one inquiry about these. They have round red buds, open to usually single but sometimes double white, pink or red flowers. When they first open, the white ones are particularly striking with their green leaves, red buds and white flowers. Their bark definitely looks different from cherry bark – it does not have the horizontal lenticels (breathing holes) that are easy to see on young cherry bark.
    20200420_BarclayChilco_Crabapple_Cutler_152347.jpg

2. Janice Lin

Janice Lin Active Member

What do you want to call this cherry tree- Kanzan or Prunus avium? Ther rootstock almost took over the original one.

Kanzen _48th_janice_20210419_153446.jpg Kanzen _48th_janice_20210419_153425.jpg
    Kanzen _48th_janice_20210419_153534.jpg Kanzen _48th_janice_20210419_153520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
  3. wcutler

Good photos for the collection, and great photos of the dots on the back of the flowers.
    I would name the photos Kanzan-avium. And we don't want it on the map, so it doesn't matter that much what you call it.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    There’s an old combination tree pink-white almost 50/50 at the north entrance to Super Valu in Gibsons BC

@Willard took a photo of it a few weeks ago I think — or maybe last yr? It’s on Sunshine Coast cherry scout thread.

5. wcutler

There are many, many of these. Here's one of Willard's from 2019, more like 70-30, but very tidy.

Attached Files:

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes that tree!
    North entrance to Super Valu

It’s as healthy as a horse and is indeed “pruned”

The tree would be approx 35 yrs old I think based on recollections of mall construction and renovations

Whereas the liquidambar on the other side are from more recent renovation around when London Drg was built (Willard has also photo’d)