Culinary: Another Rosemary question

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Paula B, May 24, 2009.

1. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

I creating a new driveway garden, south facing and HOT. I wanted gallon pots of rosemary, but I could only get the 4 inch size. How fast does rosemary grow? How long will it take to get to the 'gallon' size?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One year if they do well. Choose the most hardy kinds, some are only good to about 15 degrees F. Many were damaged this past winter.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

They are Mediterranean in their needs so warm to hot climate, well drained soil. We have one in our paddock border planting. Total neglect perfect shrub with high oil content. Daughter has one in pot. She over waters and nearly killed it. In the right conditions they make great hedging.

Liz

4. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

thanks for the info. I'm reassured that the small plants will grow that much in a year. No worries of over watering if the summer is warm, they will bake! I will baby them this growing season to establish them. TKX!

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Don't forget to mulch them tho to help retain any moisture you do give them. Cool feet.

Liz

6. WillandLynn

WillandLynn Member

Hi Paula B,
    Agreed on the feedback. I live just south of you and the winter killed our 3 foot tall rosemary bush. Need a hardy variety for coming winters I reckon. BC winters are changing due to global weather evolution.

7. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

My rosemary bushes, (Roman Beauty), are placed at the canopy 'edges' of the smoke bush, so hopefully that will keep them safe from frost. I will keep an eye on them though this winter. I have mulched them with fish compost to keep their feet a bit more moist while they establish themselves. Cheers, P