Identification: Another Houseplant for Identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by motortownmatt, Jan 20, 2009.

1. motortownmatt

motortownmatt Member

Hello,

I'm looking for an identification of the plant captured in the attached images below. I purchased it yesterday from a major home improvement store (it didn't have an ID tag included in the planter). I found it on the discounted rack, and kinda sorta got attached to it. The more I look at it the more I become intrigued by the leaves that form the flower like formation, especially the transition from a "regular" long and skinny leaf, to tendril, to leaf colored flower. Any Ideas?

Thank you!
    matt

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Codiaeum variegatum (Croton) C. variegatum 'Interruptum'

HTH
    Chris

3. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Looks like several different plants coming from a few trunks! Looks like it needs some water. I don't have any idea on what type it is. Very pretty thoe.

4. motortownmatt

motortownmatt Member

Thanks for your posts guys.

I just did a bit of reading up on Crotons. Looks like a hardy and colorful houseplant. For sure, when plants are placed on the dicount racks at the superstores they go completely ignored. I gave it a good watering yesterday and nothing else. I'm looking forward to putting it outside this summer and watching it thrive. Thanks again!

matt

5. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

You were very lucky to find a beautiful plant! was that the onley one there?

6. motortownmatt

motortownmatt Member

There was one more but it looked a little sadder than this one. Check out your local Lowes or Home Depot - you never know what you might find!

matt

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good for being banished to the dead cart rack!

8. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Crotons are great plants. I think you got to yours JUST in time! Looks real dry---it might drop some leaves, but I think it will pull through. Might benefit from repotting in nice rich soil. Crotons like moisture, warmth, and light...mmm, doesn't THAT sound lovely! I wish!

9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Beautiful plant....and excellent find by the look of things, I hope it does well for you and good luck:)

Ha! I would actually go for the saddest one if it was me.....now I have a craving to go to B&Q *sigh*

10. Bluewing

I just bought a big VERY sad looking Chlorophytum "fire flash." the other day for my sisters birthday, because she said a while ago that she liked mine. Fire flash also goes by the names, C. amaniense, C. orchidantheroides, or, C. orchidastrum, one is right, depending on who you ask.
    Lowe's had 5-6 of them. some on their sides. all suffering away on the bottom shelf of their Dead Cart.
    When I got it home, I removed no less then 15 or more damaged leaves. Some were full of holes, other, broke in half and just hanging on, and brown streaks.
    After all the damaged leaves were removed, it didn't look like the same ugly plant, it looked nice healthy, smaller, but healthy.

As long as the roots are not dead, your chances of saving those otherwise doomed plants are pretty good:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  11. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Can you post some pictures?

12. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Isn't that a variety of spider plant? The one that you have trouble growing seeds from?

13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The potential for making good out of "sad plants" depends on what, exactly is wrong with them. Some will not recover and may be infested with something that could get onto your other plants.

14. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Indeed true. The cause of the sadness must of course be diagnosed before effective treatment can be administered. However, speakin' as a long-time NY Mets fan: Ya Gotta Believe! Similarly, in the words of Todd Rundgren: If you believe it's true, it will surely happen. ---I once raised a spindly, near-dead Ficus benjamina from a stick with about a dozen leaves to a magnificent 6', full and lush, tree. Ditto a Dracaena marginata I got for a dollar. ---Yes, those of us who have years of plant-wrangling experience know all too well what can happen...but it is important that this knowledge be used not as a barrier to, but as an enhancement of, new plant experiences.

Good luck with your croton, motortownmatt! Long may it thrive!

15. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

lovely croton! i have one that's similar.

very easy to care for!!

i ALWAYS go to the discount shelf in both lowe's and home depot first thing!! i've gotten some excellent deals!! mostly the issue (at these two stores) is that the plants are over watered...so, letting the soil dry out and/or repotting is all that's needed to get them situated.

16. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I agree with the above posters - saving plants from the certain doom of the dead zone is a rewarding experience for a grower of any level. Your Croton looks lovely, and with a bit of TLC and water it will look even better.

But always, always, always check for Spider Mites when you bring home a rescue plant from a big-box store. It's so much easier to deal with them if they're only infesting one plant, not your whole collection.

Togata - you need to move back to the tropics, huh? My Codaeums are all in the ground right now, and although it looks like rain I'm not concerned about snow at least. I wouldn't trade you places for large sums of cash. (OK, maybe I would, but I'd buy a plane ticket home the next day.)

17. Bluewing

Yes, I have been having trouble getting any seeds to grow, but I'm hoping that will change if they are soaked in water as a poster suggested.

Knock on wood, I have never had any pest problems with plants bought from the dead cart, other then most of them being extremely dry, but yes, pest, or even disease could be a possibility, so they should be checked over.

This is mine, not the one I just bought for my sister.

Attached Files:

18. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Looks good, I might see if I can get one......i always think my collection is missing a spider plant, never was too keen on the white and green ones though.

19. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Very prety! "I know i say this to most all plants".

20. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If overwatered plants have become infested with water molds just reducing the watering may not be adequate. Blights may be less obvious than bugs but harder to get rid of - sometimes impossible, without discarding the plants and sterilizing the growing area.