Identification: another group to id

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Aug 28, 2007.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

some more that i've found and can't seem to id...ugh. the white furry one is about the size of a dime...very 'furry' on top. the tall white mushroom with the scales on the cap is now popping up all over my area and for some reason i'm unable to find IT either to id. was thinking it was a type of lepiotas but not able to find an image that matches. it has no smell...white spore.......the third image is of another tiny fungi....i was unable to catch an image of the tops but was smooth and almost a light cream brown in coloration. again...very tiny...smaller then a dime at the largest point...

Attached Files:

• id 1.jpg
      id 1.jpg
      File size:
      128.3 KB
      Views:
    • id 2.jpg
      id 2.jpg
      File size:
      152.6 KB
      Views:
    • id 4.jpg
      id 4.jpg
      File size:
      168.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Middle one looks like a species of Lepiota.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...is what i said....just wasn't sure which one if so. thanx though!

4. Geastrum

Geastrum Active Member

The first picture could be Crepidotus herbarum, a small mushroom with a brown spore print. A brown spore print from the subjects of the third picture would also suggest Crepidotus, maybe C. mollis.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

thanx for the names? i definately believe they're both a type of Crepidotus? Unfortunately...when I go online to look up? All the sites on that name are from Sweden and Belgium??

6. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

I see your problem with the middle photo. On first glance I immediately wanted to say "Lepiota!" as well. But when I look closer at the scales on the one in the foreground, they look less like scales and much more like remnants of volval or universal veil tissue i.e Amanita. Then I notice the lack of any coloration on said scales, another factor that speaks against Lepiota. Finally, the shaggy stalk is more typical of Amanita OR a group of Lepitoa's whose edibility is known to poisonous. The one in the distance also has what looks like the top of UV as well, all features that when put together compels me to issue a warning against the idea of eating these particular mushrooms should they reappear again.

If they do come up, it would be helpful if you could get a shot of the cap from above (I know, I know. We're always saying we need a picture showing them from below, which you have kindly provided us with, but....<g>) as well as a size reference using a penny or the like. The angle here makes them look a little too large to belong to the poisonous L. clypeolaria group, but it might be just that...the angle.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

thanx for the ideas here? the one i had in my yard finally maxed out as large as a dinner plate and almost 8inches tall. the two i have in this image were only about 4inches in height. from above...even at full size...they stayed pure white........after i'd watered my garden however? the water ON the top of the mushroom turned a yellowish color and became slimey. an odor didn't occur till after it'd been in my garden almost a week and then the water. THEN it stunk. couldnt' say like WHAT? it just stunk. lol

8. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Crepidotus caloepis / Macrolepiota sp. / Crepidotus mollis

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

thank you!!! nice to get a SET name finally!