Another bike path unknown

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by huffmun, Sep 13, 2003.

1. huffmun

huffmun Member

I am trying to identify several plants I found along a new bike path in northern Indiana.
    This one is a vine that is growing over everything. It has very large leaves, up to 12 inches, with small while flowers. I think it is a moonseed. Can you confirm? I will try to attach two photos.

Attached Files:

2. huffmun

huffmun Member

I may have answered my own question. I found what may be a match - moonseed. The leaves look like it but I am not so sure about the flowers.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Were these photographs taken recently? Moonseed generally flowers in spring, and should be fruiting by now...

4. huffmun

huffmun Member

Yes, they were taken September 11, 2003, last Thursday.

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2022
  6. huffmun

huffmun Member

The flowers and leaves look very like the ones in my photograph. If I have a chance later in the week I'll take another bike ride and take another look. Maybe I can get a look at the fruit. That would nail it down for certain.

Thanks again.

7. huffmun

huffmun Member

I finally got a chance to get back to the bike path yesterday and take a picture of the fruit. The seed pod matches very well the illustration of Sicyos angulata in my "Field guide". Indeed I have found a "bur cucumber". I have attached a photo of the seed pod. Thank you very much.

Attached Files: