Identification: An assortment of high quality, unknown, plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by urglefloggah, Jan 30, 2009.

1. urglefloggah

urglefloggah Member

Howdy. The first two seem to be new world desert plants; the second may be a variety of prickly pear. The 3rd is either colocasia or alocasia. #4 looks like a kind of bromeliad, but I can't be sure. I'll post more later; gotta run. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

1. Mammillaria sp.
    2. Opuntia sp.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

#3 looks more like a Xanthosoma to me... Could be a big Alocasia, but the lack of fusion in the posterior lobes makes me think otherwise...

5. urglefloggah

urglefloggah Member

Lorax, I honestly can't distinguish between the xanthosomas I found on the web and what I recognize as alocasia. Can you explain the difference?

Here are some more.

Attached Files:

6. lorax

Urglefloggah - Xanthosomas generally have separate posterior lobes, rather than ones that are fused together at the base, giving the leaves a characteristic arrowhead shape; Alocasia (at least the bulk of the species I'm familiar with) are at least partially fused towards the junction of the petiole and the leaf, giving them a characteristic heart shape.

The plant in my attachment is a Xanthosoma commonly known in Ecuador as "Pelma" and grown as a food crop alongside Alocasia; compare using GIS to Alocasia to see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

7. lorax

That leaf is about two inches shorter than me, which makes it about 5'10" long.

Oh, and Urglefloggah - the fourth plant in your second posting is Colocasia esculenta - Taro root.

Number 2 is likely an Aloe, but not a species I'm familiar with; Number 3 is likely a Haworthia of some description. If you repost them to the Cacti and Succulents forum, you'll likely get specific answers from the cactus and succulent experts.