Ameryllis (hippeastrum) ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by fourd, Nov 26, 2005.

1. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

This is not the first time I have had this experiance nor likely the last. I picked up 4 "common" amaryllis bulbs labeled as Roma, Red Lion, Christmas gift, and Piquant (single) ... to add to my collection and experiment with. The bulbs were sealed in net bags, large, and most of all cheap. But now I'm quite baffled as this one was the first to flower (making me question the rest). Can someone ID?

My Almond trees had a few peaches on them this year as well. I already have three peach trees so you figure I would have noticed the simularities before fruiting???? I have purchased Rhodies that names I never heard of and couldn't find registered -- at least in that case you can suspect they are mislabled.

Attached Files:

2. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

The others have bloomed and I have ID them as correct -- this was suposed to be "Christmas Gift" . I noted it is not uniform in flower as some were more double like the pic above while other were clearly triple if that helps any. Not a big deal other then I like to know my plants (I do know I can't call this "Christmas Gift" although it might end up being a Christmas gift). Any guesses?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tracking down cultivars like these can be problematic online. My suggestion is to locate a catalogue from a nursery that sells these a-plenty and browse through - not an ideal method, but lacking particular expertise in identifying these, that's all I can off for the moment.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Used to be an International Bulb Society web site up with a fairly large amaryllis photo gallery, maybe try looking for that. Commonly sold Hall's Hardy almond is actually both--from a cross between a peach and an almond. That shows how close they are: they are cross-compatible.

5. sarmadsaeed

sarmadsaeed Member

This is "Dancing Queen".

Regards,
    Sarmad