American Chestnut in the Lower Mainland?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Daniel Mosquin, May 17, 2004.

1. Jake Sherlock

Jake Sherlock New Member

Has anyone positively ID'd the chestnut trees in Surrey's Redwood park? I recently learned about a grove there. The Website for Redwood Park refers to the grove as Chinese but elsewhere I saw reference to Sativa. I've never been there...yet. Just curious as usual.

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Active Member

I don’t know about Surrey - but in the spirit of your quest - I asked someone (at a distance electronically) in Gibsons recently what their old farm chestnut is — I recall it fr long ago visits — and no it is not American - I think he said horse ch

I know for sure it has the “sea urchin” fruit / nuts

I estimate it is 50 feet tall and 30 feet wide with a pleasing tree shape (like how kids draw deciduous trees - a trunk and a bubble on top —- in this case it is an oblong bubble!)

I estimate it is 50 yrs old. It has never had any special care - and - most fortunately - never any awful power line hair cuts and other bad brutal pruning practices.

3. Jake Sherlock

Jake Sherlock New Member

Last fall I bought an aging bale of local straw for mulching my garden. While there ,I noted a large tree I mistakenly took to be walnut.It was in fact a butternut.Beautiful tree allowed to mature in an open field setting.It has a nice round canopy and is very nice to look at. I scooped up a few from the ground and stratified them alongside my chestnuts. Four of five sprouted and are in pots...I have a mature butternut here but in has had to fight its way up. Not as nice a shape but its canopy looks nice just the same.

4. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sorry, that doesn't count. :) Different family entirely. Do you remember the leaves? You can look up Castanea (chestnut) and Aesculus (horse chestnut) leaves and see if you recognize which it is. The horse chestnut leaves are palmately compound.

5. Georgia Strait

6. Georgia Strait

So in May 2004 - someone emailed and one of the admins posted the start of the conversation that continues today here!

I often wonder why someone would particularly want an American chestnut out in Vancouver - Fraser Valley (Agassiz research stn)

Is it for the harvest?
    ———-
    Meanwhile - i am on the quest —— a friend sent these pix fr Sunshine Coast area recently.

The leaf is approx 8 inches long down the middle

The tree is near the ocean beach and rarely watered - and thankfully no powerline pruning .... Or the usual ocean view « improvement » pruning

It is approx 60 feet tall and maybe 40 wide with branches that tend to droop down

The overall shape is oval if not ovoid ( slightly wider closer to lawn)

You can see on photos the spiked fruit (term?) forming and they are approx 1 inch diameter now but mature to about 2 or 3 inch if one include spikes.

The crows harvest and somehow extricate the nut fr the spikes and spread future trees around the neighborhood.

Identification of this tree in pix please?

ÉDIT - i forgot to ask for picture of trunk bark - if it helps - I can get one

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020 at 8:06 AM