amaryllis pics

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by omentheduck, Mar 23, 2008.

1. omentheduck

omentheduck Member

Here you go folks. I know That someone has posted some already but i have been planning on sharing these for awhile so, I hope that you all enjoy I know that I have loved seeing everyone elses photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"(ăm'ərĭl'ĭs) , common name for some members of the Amaryllidaceae, a family of mostly perennial plants with narrow, flat leaves and with lilylike flowers borne on separate, leafless stalks. They are widely distributed throughout the world, especially in flatlands of the tropics and subtropics. Many ornamental plants of this family are mistakenly called lilies; they can be distinguished from members of the lily family (Liliaceae) by the anatomical placement of the ovary (see flower) and are considered more advanced in evolution than the lilies. Sometimes the amaryllis family is included in the Liliaceae."
    <a href="http://www.answers.com/topic/amaryllis" target="_blank"answers.com</a>

2. natureman

natureman Active Member

Nice, they seem to flower indoor nicely.

3. omentheduck

omentheduck Member

Yes they do very well, thanks for the reply. This one was supposed to be candy striped but either way it was amazing to see open up!

4. srk5cats

srk5cats Member

Here's a pic of my Amarylis that flowered a month ago. I had transplanted it when I moved four years ago, but it didn't flower again until this year. It may have to do with the fact that I didn't know the top part of the bulb should be exposed and that it likes full sun. Also, when I had dug it up out of the ground, I accidentally chopped the bulb in half.

Attached Files: