Am I growing mint right?

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Sara_, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Sara_

Sara_ New Member

Hi! I am trying to grow mint indoors because I want to take it with me when I move into a dorm next fall but currently the only pot I have doesn't have drainage holes on the bottom. I put some pebbles in the bottom to try and help with drainage but I don't know if that's enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

You must be very careful when using containers without a drainage hole, to avoid over watering.
    I think it is much easier and safer to obtain a container with a drainage hole, than to learn how to avoid overwatering without it.
    BTW, mint is not very sensitive to over watering, so it may still be possible to grow it in the conteiner without a hole, but then you must know how much water you can add, without sinking the roots for too long time

Sara_ likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

One trick you can use to make sure there's no water sitting in the bottom of the pot is to tip it out over a sink, meanwhile holding your hand over the top of the pot so the plant and/or soil don't fall out as well. Hold in the upside-down position for a few seconds to be sure as much excess water as possible is gone.

4. Sara_

Sara_ New Member

Oh nice thanks!

5. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

When I first saw only the title of the thread, my immediate thought was "Yes you are!". It's almost impossible to kill, the cockroach of plants. ;)

I have one outside on the deck for the winter in a pot with no drainage holes (it was given to me that way). I leave it partially under the eave so it doesn't get too much water, and if it does get too much after a storm, I may kick it onto it's side to drain out the water (lots of roots holding the soil in place); or sometimes I just kick it farther under the eave to get dryer. I don't look at it but maybe every month or two. The worse I treat it the better it seems to do. Next month I may drill some holes in that pot.

6. Glenn M

Glenn M New Member

Twice that mint is a hard beast to kill, but over-watering is potentially dangerous for it. So don't over water but keep the soil moist - i.e. just water again when the soil surface feels dry.
    Just in case, if your soil is waterlogged and you already did what Margot recommended, make sure they are getting enough sun to help dry them out and prevent rotting. Most herbs like a rather sunny location anyway.
    Good luck!

7. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Mint has been a weed in my household. I don't know how it got from one pot to another but its really hard to get rid of if it infests another plant that you really like. Be careful!