Always a headache for me

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by David Tang, Apr 26, 2021.

1. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

I always found it difficult to ID.
    I simply lump them all in the daisy category.
    Kindly enlighten me to their IDs please.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Small white.....Bellis perennis....common name daisy.
    Yellow...Taraxacum...common name Dandelion.

SunniDaze and Acerholic like this.
  3. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Splendid ! Thanks a lot.

Silver surfer likes this.
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I've never seen a more beautiful picture of 2 common 'weeds' than that first one of yours. It almost makes me want to plant them on purpose.

5. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

I love daisies - dandelions not so much except for dandelion wine!

SunniDaze and Acerholic like this.
  6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    A great photo that means a lot to old coast kids!

Daisy chains in the school yard before they « safetyfied” with chips of car tire rubber and slivery bark fr forest industry scraps

And the puffy seeds fr dandelion we’d blow In to the wind (horrors!)

And childhood game asking « do you like butter? » w buttercups — ironically I just paid someone to dig up recently - many number decades later! - a rampant weed in our moist farm pastures that no livestock would touch - they would luncheon the grass nearby but not buttercups.

Random thoughts of what i now call weeds -

it makes me think.

SunniDaze, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  7. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Well, my definition of weeds are those you pay to get them rid of.
    If you pay to get them, they are flora.

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

What a lovely thread and all about weeds. I enjoyed every post..

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

How it should be:

If they're local native plants (which includes the above two, for me!) - they're wild flowers to be cherished

If they're invasive alien plants (which includes the above two, for you!) - they're weeds

10. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

I'm on Whidbey Island and I love lawn daisies and dandelions! The first 3 years we had our home we let the lawn do its own thing. It was rife with dandelions. By the 4th year they were almost gone. After the 5th year they only grow along the porch and I leave them. They make nice additions to salads and sandwiches. By leaving the dandelions we let nature aerate and fertilize our lawn and it is now, after a decade, still quite healthy. As the dandelions did our work for us, the clover slowly disappeared as they, also, love nutrient poor soil. My brother lives next door and he has lawn daisies his plants have shared their progeny with us. Nothing is quite so pretty as all that green with pink and white daisies scattered here and there!

Acerholic and Georgia Strait like this.
  11. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @SunniDaze
    whidbey Island - what a beautiful part of Cascadia (Pac NW) you’re in

Off the original topic — i hope you can post some news re Skagit Valley commercial tulip fields next spring 2023

there is also an entire section of this UBC website forum dedicated to ornamental cherry blossoms (VCBF) — I believe there’s a subforum for NW WA State

and of course - photos of your garden -

some of my favs at the coast near Vanc BC include vine maple (common on HWy 20 along Skagit River and past Diablo Dam)
    plus hostas
    And lilies
    And rhodos
    And native ferns (esp sword fern) (some people treat them as weeds)

i like plants that survive our wet cold outflow winter and dry hot no water summers (often « weeds » do well!

way off topic here — just enthused — looking fwd to more of your contributions here.
    thank you

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  12. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

Thank you!!! I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Last year was such a bust for the tourist and the farmers. The winter had such an overabundance of rain the fields flooded and the water saturated the ground, killing most of the bulbs. Only about 1/5th of the bulbs survived to bloom. Crossing fingers this winter will be less enthusiastic with its moisture.

I saw that! Nice!!

My garden consists of two plants. LOL A rainier cherry and a stand of lilies we've neglected. I suppose I should pull the stand up, separate the lilies and replant but they seem happy the way they are and look so lovely all bunched up. I figure if they begin to fail, then I'll intervene.
    210423 Joy's Rainier Cherry01t.jpg 081108 Daisy's Memorialt.jpg forest25t.jpg forest21t.jpg
    I have 2.75 acres, mostly woods, and the rest of it is bird planted. We haven't used a single toxic anything on our property since it became ours in 2012. Our salal, red elderberry and several different berries are slowly encroaching on the grass yard my father put so much energy into when he was alive.

VINE maples. **slaps forehead** No wonder I couldn't find any information on those trees. I was calling them WHIP maples. duhhhh. **crooked smile**
    We have rhodies in our woods. I love how there's a pop of color spattered with dollops of sunlight come Spring. I've considered planting hostas in the very front section of our yard. We have an "ugly" understory along the street the neighbors tolerate. And also moving some of the young sword ferns to add a little jagged interest to the hostas. I love ferns and we have lots of sword and bracken ferns scattered around.

You can expect quite a bit from me, actually. I make paper from plants and noxious/invasive weeds so it's very important for me to know what I'm getting ready to harvest. Is it native? Is it invasive? Is it noxious? Is it endangered? Is it poisonous? As a result, over the years I have documented quite a number of plants with photographs. And rephotographed, sometimes again and again. I follow a stand for at least two years so I can capture enough different angles and document the plant thru all four seasons. Then I'll spend hours browsing different online databases looking for matches to the photos. So I have oodles of plants I haven't been able to identify. All plants from Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands with the occasional off-islander. On a side note, I also dabble with polymer clay and also take pictures so I can replicate the flowers and/or plants in canework or sculpture.
    Lamp Shoji, off.jpg Lamp Shoji, on.jpg vessel calla lily.jpg vessel calla lily02.jpg
    Finding all y'all here is like candy to a kid. The folks who run this forum have me in awe. The sheer knowledge they share so graciously and the wit they show! I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2022
  13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Some of us can use the practice, and others of us would be happy to learn some of those names, or have them on the forums where we can find them again. For IDs, it's best to post one at a time, with a descriptive subject line that will help you find it again. See the Help threads Where is my post? | UBC Botanical Garden Forums, and How to get good answers to your Plant ID questions | UBC Botanical Garden Forums.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    SunniDaze likes this.
  14. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I love the sculpture of the calla lilies, Zantedeschia elliottiana.

SunniDaze and Margot like this.
  15. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

I like this recommendation. I have a mind like a sieve so this would enable me to find things with the Search option! Thank you!
    And I'm glad you like like my callas! The vase was fun to make.