alternative groundcover

Discussion in 'Groundcovers' started by jardinero, May 12, 2007.

1. jardinero

jardinero Member

Hello,

I am looking for alternative ground cover, other than grass, for a very small plot of earth. I would like it to be hardy enough to be stepped on as the space will serve as play area at times for my toddler. I have read a little about Corsican Mint, but am unsure of its hardiness. I am also looking for something fast growing. Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

There are a lot of ground covers, but none of them are going to have all of the qualities that you ask for. Turf is the most durable, low maintenance thing you are likely to find. Nothing else can really take being played on--that's why they use it.

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I would suggest that jardinero go to the new Groundcovers trial forum, because I am trying to initiate some discussion there. I do believe there are many options to grass. Even grass is delicate when constantly in use, hence the old "do not walk on the grass" signs we sometimes see...! I DO have some Corsican mint, and it seems one of the toughest and prettiest, although I don't have it where it is experiencing a lot of foot traffic. I would like to see the mini-St. John's Wort under constant traffic I spoke of there, it is forming a tiny, tight, dense mat with flat yellow flowers on it, quite nice.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to groundcover forum)

5. janetdoyle

I just want to point out re the above that "Corsican mint" [Menta requienii] is not the same as "Corsican sandwort" [Arenaria balearica] which latter I have, now -- the website "www.rainyside.com" mentions that Corsican mint is not evergreen, and needs moisture, although lovely, and says Elfin Thyme provides a better between-stone pathways groundcover, tolerating more dryness. I am trying Elfin Thyme in paving-stone cracks on a patio, and so far it seems to be "taking", with minimal watering. I am not sure that Corsican sandwort is evergreen in the true sense, although the plastic tag says it is, and I hope so, as it is a tough little plant, and very delicate-looking with tiny star-like white flowers... and I have decided to try it in a front-garden driveway border in fairly large quantity.

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

7. janetdoyle

That's helpful -- will investigate. I have seen the Stepables site, and it is excellent. This reminds me to go there again. It would be interesting to set up a list on this site of groundcovers which are "invasive but possibly useful", "vigorous but non-invasive", and "delicate" or something similar... another useful category would be "fills in dry area" or something of that sort...

8. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Janet, glad that was helpful. Maybe you could as Admin to make a sticky once you get the lists together.

Newt